Any plans to widen the scope of the writing group, beyond fiction?

Apologies if this has already been raised.

I enjoy writing a great deal and would like to contribute to the SF writers group, not to mention benefit from members' feedback. However, fiction has never really been my thing.

Are there any plans to introduce discussions/competitions for non-fiction, such as short articles, reviews (restaurants, hotels, books, etc.) and a whole host of other possibilities, which in my mind are just as challenging and satisfying to write effectively as fiction?

I enjoy writing a great deal and would like to contribute to the SF writers group, not to mention benefit from members' feedback. However, fiction has never really been my thing.

Are there any plans to introduce discussions/competitions for non-fiction, such as short articles, reviews (restaurants, hotels, books, etc.) and a whole host of other possibilities, which in my mind are just as challenging and satisfying to write effectively as fiction?

This Group's raison d'être is to offer all SF Members an opportunity to write, share and (if they so wish) request feedback from other Members.

Fiction is only one part of the wider use of the written word, as you have pointed out, TheRedWizard.

Please share with us your writings in your preferred genre.

If you are concerned about retaining your copyright to the items, place them on the WG Server with a link to them on an introductory Thread. Mantaspook and I are glad to offer help and advice on this procedure, should you need it.

If you are not concerned about the copyright to your work, post them on the "open" section of the Group. Please remember that the Search Engine "Bots" trawl the "open" Sections of SF constantly and your items may be open to world-wide publication in the internet.

Mantaspook usually deals with the "competition" organisation within the Group, so just PM him with your ideas.

Member's suggestions are always welcome.....it's the Member's Group after all, not the fiefdom of the Group Leaders. :)

If you are concerned about retaining your copyright to the items, place them on the WG Server with a link to them on an introductory Thread. Mantaspook and I are glad to offer help and advice on this procedure, should you need it.

If you are not concerned about the copyright to your work, post them on the "open" section of the Group. Please remember that the Search Engine "Bots" trawl the "open" Sections of SF constantly and your items may be open to world-wide publication in the internet.

Just a gentle reminder: copyright and publishing/reproduction rights are two different things. We automatically own copyright in our own works (not in our own ideas, though), which gives us the right to assign publising/reproduction rights; if someone steals our stuff off the internet, they're taking up publishing rights, which are different.

There. Clear as mud.

Please contribute. Variety is the spice of life.

Please contribute. Variety is the spice of life.

Hiya pattricia. You are our "resident", may I say our "star" on this group.

You never fail to comment on the work of others on here, and you have contributed often with feedback with such encouraging comments, as well as your lovely items on the Server too. :)

We all love you.......really we do.

TheRedWizard......take pattricia's advice.....do your stuff.....start contributing, be it a menu, a venue or a .....I'll leave pattricia to finish the sentence off in her own inimitable way! :hihi:

I will do at some point, but I've stupidly launched myself into the 'picture tells a 1,000 words' challenge, with a randomly-chosen picture off Google (ouch - you should see how problematic it is!) Not the easiest way to start writing fiction!

In terms of non-fiction stuff, I hadn't envisaged boring the group with academic articles or instruction manuals. What I had in mind was perhaps restaurant reviews, holiday reports, book reviews, that kind of thing. Namely, the type of stuff you might find in the magazine section of a weekend newspaper. I thought this might be an interesting and very different challenge for the group.