New Broomhill Cafe - Cream

Sorry, snakes (should have read snacks) would new for sheffield and maybe people might have some positive comments to write, miserable lot.

Mmmm nutfree snakes. I don't want to be unendingly critical and I apologise Bragazzis is not in any way close to Broomhill, just my good coffee/atmosphere bench mark. Cream's premises area great spot for a really first class place. Buon Deli, Remo's Thyme, etc. all great, Refresh, less so but Cream has the location that none of those have, (certainly if like me you pass through Broomhill rathr than work there) it's not going to be a cheap place to rent but it won't be even Ecclesall Road money I suspect. Probably in the £20-25k a year ground rent, I would hazard an unqualified guess. Maybe it will improve but it's just not great, interior decor, etc. just could be better, it feels empty I think is the main thing, it will be worse come winter when it's dark and cold outside, it's going to look like Night Hawks in there! It is pricey, double espresso is £1.50...everywhere, even London, I want to see it do well but I don't think they've got the mix right...yet.

We went on the Saturday after Cream opened on the Tuesday. I like the design, and the drinks and steak sandwich were OK but my slice of quiche was about an inch wide with a tablespoonful of salad - for £4.95! Nice atmosphere, if they improve the value for money factor I would go again. I know rents are expensive but they'll not have many repeat customers at those prices.

Sorry, snakes (should have read snacks) would new for sheffield and maybe people might have some positive comments to write, miserable lot.

We are trying to be positive and pro-active. A new businesss opens, we want it to be good and want it to survive. Most people are hoping it improves, we will use it and hope it does survive.

A lot of people are offering sensible advice; maybe you could pass on some suggestions if you are in everyday. It is good that they are trying to do something different; it would be impossible to compete directly with the very successful Remos, Thyme and Vittels.

As for wishing new businesses good luck; did you notice Mooch, the new gift shop which opened on Saturday; they have some great gifts and fantastic cards. I will have to stay away if I want to sort my finances. Good luck to Mooch.

Long live Broomhill and its independent shops and cafes.

) it's not going to be a cheap place to rent but it won't be even Ecclesall Road money I suspect. Probably in the £20-25k a year ground rent, I would hazard an unqualified guess. Maybe it will improve but it's just not great, interior decor, etc. just could be better, it feels empty I think is the main thing, it will be worse come winter when it's dark and cold outside, it's going to look like Night Hawks in there! It is pricey, double espresso is £1.50...everywhere, even London, I want to see it do well but I don't think they've got the mix right...yet.

The rent is almost double your guess, outrageous! I too hope they do well, taking such a risk with those kinds of overheads, they deserve success and i wish them well. i suspect the problems/complaints will be resolved as most teething problems are. I'm glad it's not one of the big chains which make everywhere look the same.

Also had a look in the fancy new gift shop Mooch, it looks very nice, not the sort of things I buy but I hope enough people do for them to make a success of it.

I'm please that the grotty cleaning company has moved and I'd like to wish them luck with the business.

As I've already said I've nothing against Cream and the one time I've been I thought it was fine, but I think it's a shame the dry cleaners/Timpsons have gone, it was really useful having a dry cleaner's in Broomhill...

I haven't seen this Mooch place everyone's talking about but it sounds exciting, will have to have a look this weekend...

Yes, long live Broomhill!

With some of the comments on here regarding the prices at Cream, it seems as though Abbey Glen are still there.

Taken to the cleaners, and all that.....,

I haven't been yet so am hardly qualified to comment. But it has tidied up what was a bit of a scruffy corner of Broomhill. Let's hope the vacant premises next door (the old and much lamented KFC) get taken over soon.

I also hope Cream catch sight of the comments on here and address them.

I've been to Cream a few times and thought it was great! The food, while expensive, is really good quality and certainly tantalises my taste buds. I've seen the coffee being made mostly by one guy recently and I have to say, he's really good at it!

The staff do seem a little bit unorganised at the minute; but it's a new business. They opened 4 weeks ago so you can't expect everything to be running perfectly and smoothly like a brilliantly oiled cafe that's been an established business for some time now. They'll get there, give them a break!

I do think the prices are pretty expensive, but like I said, I've been in there a few times and I don't mind paying them for what I'm getting (good quality coffee, nice atmosphere, friendly environment - from fellow customers, and contrary to popular opinion, the staff! - and lest we forget right now, a break from the bitter temperatures outside!). I really do implore them to lower the prices slightly, because like a few of you have said, students basically won't pay it. I'll mention it next time I'm there.

It seems that in the earlier posts on this thread, a number of people have an inability to have their own opinion, with comments like "Well I won't be going there then!" et al. Did you people forget to read those comments where people have had a positive experience at Cream? Surely you should be jumping on that bandwagon as well?

Do yourselves a favour and get out there and experience something. If you're going to make comments about Cream, go there, taste their coffee, taste their food, sit on their furnishings, take in the decor - only then will your opinion on the place be valid. And that's not just about Cream, that's about absolutely anything at all.

And one other point in a similar light - if you have a complaint or comment or advice or anything for the place, I'm absolutely certain the owners would love it if you spoke to them about it. Let us not forget that it's a brand new company and they NEED the advice and feedback from the community so that they CAN sort out these issues. I'm sure they'd actually LOVE to hear from you, be it positive or negative. There's nothing that irritates me more than people who hide behind the shield of THE INTERNET and bitch about this or that and then never comment about it to the people themselves.

Oh and that thing about the Danish owner... I'm fairly sure racism isn't tollerated on these forums, and if it is, it bloody well shouldn't be.

We should definitely support independent local businesses - the money they make goes back in to the local economy and keeps out of town places like Broomhill & Eccy Rd thriving. I haven't been to Cream yet, but as I have a mind of my own, I won't refuse to go based on other people's negative comments - it would be a dull old world if we all liked the same things.

As for Mooch on Whitam Rd, went there last week on Sunday and they don't open. Went again on Weds and it was 'closed due to building work' apparently. Looked like there was naff all going on inside to me! Given they don't seem to open on Sundays, could they not have done the work then...?

Did look lovely though, but I'm not sure who's buying £150 odd side tables in Broomhill. Maybe next time I go they'll be open and I can have a proper look at all of their stuff!

There's nothing that irritates me more than people who hide behind the shield of THE INTERNET and bitch about this or that and then never comment about it to the people themselves.

Pots and kettles, just possibly, in the nicest possible way.

Also, it's not a British trait to complain overtly. It might be increasingly common but it is still the norm to bitch to your friends about somewhere or something after you've resentfully paid for something you didn't enjoy!

Moreover, it is only a coffee shop, it'll do well or it won't and it will succeed or fail on the basis of it's ability to deliver to what residents/users fo Broomhill want at the price they're prepared to pay and if it fails it'll probably become a dog grooming parlour or something if similarly limited social utility, IMHO!

it looks very empty to me, is it finished? Are they completley ignoring the students in the area? If they made it a bit cooler and studenty they could make a mint in there! If only I had a few hundred grand......................