Vicious Dog Fight Outside Endcliffe Park Cafe

RE: nature programmes...

It may have been an off-the-cuff comment but I don't think it is fair to dismiss the concern shown by the original poster for the fact that her kids got upset by this kind of violence in their local park.

I think also we have to recognise that in a nature programme there is context provided to the animal's actions. It is interpreted for you - you get that the animal is feeding itself, or its offspring or protecting territory. Without a clear understanding of the context the fact of the violence can be very frightening for kids.

Anyway, back to the original point, I think dogs should be on a lead and under control in areas where there are kids, and I also think they should be muzzled around playgrounds.

I wonder if people would have had the same reaction had a yorkshire terrier jumped up and grabbed the Spaniels' neck?

Hardly a fair comparison?

Here we go agaon the BIG BAD AKITA, well as you can see i am a proud owner of an akita and the dog has bit a person, which he admitted he was tormenting her and he was with in reach of her chain on the back yard. When the police visited they said she there was nothing they could do as she was protecting her self and her yard. I think that its down to the owners how the dog reacts as they brough the dog up and have shown it right from wrong just like kids. My dog also was attacked by two staffys (stray) at once but due to how our dog was learnt in how to behave and attack (like police dogs) she managed to defend herself and pin both staffys to the floor with out hurting them and when she was told to let go she did and the went off yelping. So just shows you if you brought the dog up right and learnt it right from wrong then just like kids they may behave.

akitas are loverly dogs brought up right ,just like any other dog but i do,nt think they are family pets as in people with kids.i own one have done for a few yrs now also 2 english bull terriers and i would trust my englishs with kids .my akita on the other hand noooo way would i leave her alone with a child.

akitas are loverly dogs brought up right ,just like any other dog but i do,nt think they are family pets as in people with kids.i own one have done for a few yrs now also 2 english bull terriers and i would trust my englishs with kids .my akita on the other hand noooo way would i leave her alone with a child.

My two uncles have had 1 akita each and have both had 3 children each and the dogs have been fine one akita was old an died and the other is like the walking dead as hes about 16, my akita on the other hand is now 13 and i have got a 3 yerar old, the dog lives with my parents as i moved out when we were exspecting the little one and left the dog with them and although we wont leave her or trust her too much with my daughter she is fine.

ok she might be fine with your daughter,but would u trust her with others?i,ve had mine 9 yrs now from a pup and all the time we,ve had her i would,nt leave the dog in the room with my daughter or her friends.experance i,ve had with them is they do,nt like other dogs or kids going near them.with me and hubby shes a big teddy bear.

ok,. you know I have waited all day for this post, knowing that this would come up here.

here are the facts;

My sister and her partner are the owners of the dog, they own 2 Akitas, both are always on the lead, my sister is a NOT a bad owner, she has had Akita's for years and knows the breed well.

The dog is an Akita, he is also one I have fostered and so know him very well. My sister called me distraught last night after the incident. The dog is question was on his lead, walking to heel as he has been trained to do.

The other dog, was not a spaniel but a collie ( black and white) and off lead, there's a surprise , it came racing across to both the dog in question and and my sister's other older Akita bitch, growling and snarling at them. My sister older dog ignored him. he continued to them attack her male Akita. My sister, called out to the off lead collie's owner to get hold of his dog, he did try and recall it but surprise surprise - the dog refused to listen and continued to attack my sister's dog. My sister's dog did fight back, what else would you expect. Yes they did struggle to get him to let go, but at no time was he off the lead.

I know and appraciate how horrendous dog's fights sounds and can appear.

But I want to point out a few things.

First of all this Akita is a wonderful, beautiful dog, and with a good nature,. He has had a horrendous life, he has been beaten, strarved and abused, yet he is one of the most gentle dogs I have ever met.

So why, if he is so gentle, did he retaliate in the way he did? Because he was being attacked... yet again.

A month or so ago he was seriously injured by a staffie cross who surprise surprise was off lead, and did not come back to recall. This staffie would not let go of him, causing him damage to his face, his ears. and leaving him an injured hip and foreleg. So not surprisngly he is now nervous of dogs which attack him - wouldnt you be.

What really upset my sister, was not only the fight - of course, but people's reactions who hadn't really seen what had happened.

Her dog DID NOT attack this dog, the OFF LEAD COLLIE DOG attacked him,

Her dog was on a lead, at all times, he was under some control, the collie was not .

The crowd of people there turned and sceamed abuse at my sister and her partner, including racist slurs - her partner is black and walking an Akita...my goodness!

They were almost hounded out of the park...(forgive the pun) by a baying pack of middle class hysterical mob, who really didn't have a clue what had happened,- and who didn't try and find out what happened. They assumed, wrongly, that this Big dangerous Dog had attacked the lovely fluffy poor dog, when in reality it was the other way round.

And yes I am a tad angry!

i love akitas any pups going let us know they are a very loyal breed unlike us british these days

I'd wondered as much. It seems that dogs aren't allowed to stand up to playground bullies.

D..., whilst everyone was enjoying their cappuccino’s in the Sunday morning sunshine outside Endcliffe Park café, .

Just to add, my sister, her partner and both these dogs have been walking through that park and sitting down and enjoying the same sunshine, the same cappuccinos' the same cafe for a nuumber of month - if not years.

We have also, walked and sat in the sunshine, by the cafe and enjoyed numerous cappuccinos' while walking our Akita in that park. We too have sat and read our copy of the Guardian, while enjoying a break in the walk.

We have also sat and drunk coffee with my sister and her partner, which would mean 3 of these so called dangerous dogs, all sat together, all around the same table. Our dogs are on the whole very well behaved, they sit/lay down quietly and do as they are told, while we sip our coffee - it's the off lead dogs which are the problem. - or rather their owners as in this case.

Shullie,

We met a while ago when i came to do a home check!

I hope your sister and family including the dog are ok, again people jump to conclusions when they see the big bad Akitas!

thank you for updating us on the situation,

Take care

Claire

:thumbsup: