Sign in to follow this  

Is it possible to check on someones qualifications?

is there a web site where you can check on a persons qualifications? I dont really want to have to get the university involved, .... but how do i check that a degree is a degree and not a diploma?

is there a web site where you can check on a persons qualifications? I dont really want to have to get the university involved, .... but how do i check that a degree is a degree and not a diploma?

You can check the certificate.

No website, you'd have to contact the university.

No website, you'd have to contact the university.

The University wouldn't be able to help you due to data protection, unless the person concerned has given permission for them to release the information. I think seeing their certificate is the only way you're going to be able to tell.

theres alway a reason that it cant be seen ......... misplaced, busy ............

but i will put my foot down with a firm hand and insist!

You could ring UK NARIC they can tell you the difference and which university issues which.

They can compare certificates from all over the world, but won't be able to tell you a specific persons quals.

If you google them they should come up pretty quickly.

The University wouldn't be able to help you due to data protection, unless the person concerned has given permission for them to release the information. I think seeing their certificate is the only way you're going to be able to tell.

That isn't true.

Data protection means that the university can't give out private information. A degree qualification is a matter of public record and they will confirm if someone has or has not got a specific degree.

A certificate proves nothing except an ability to use photoshop and access to a colour printer.

That isn't true.

Data protection means that the university can't give out private information. A degree qualification is a matter of public record and they will confirm if someone has or has not got a specific degree.

A certificate proves nothing except an ability to use photoshop and access to a colour printer.

It depends. If a person is claiming to have a specific qualification, the University can confirm that particular award. They won't fulfil a request for, for example 'what qualification did this person obtain'.

Data Protection Act

#

“personal data” means data which relate to a living individual who can be identified—

(a)

from those data, or

(b)

from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller,

and includes any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual;

Sensitive personal data

In this Act “sensitive personal data” means personal data consisting of information as to—

(a) the racial or ethnic origin of the data subject,

(b) his political opinions,

© his religious beliefs or other beliefs of a similar nature,

(d) whether he is a member of a trade union (within the meaning of the [1992 c. 52.] Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992),

(e) his physical or mental health or condition,

(f) his sexual life,

(g) the commission or alleged commission by him of any offence, or

(h) any proceedings for any offence committed or alleged to have been committed by him, the disposal of such proceedings or the sentence of any court in such proceedings.

SCHEDULE 1 The data protection principles

Part I The principles

1 Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully and, in particular, shall not be processed unless—

(a) at least one of the conditions in Schedule 2 is met, and

(b) in the case of sensitive personal data, at least one of the conditions in Schedule 3 is also met.

2 Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.

3 Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.

4 Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.

5 Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.

6 Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act.

7 Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

8 Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.

Note that schedule 1 does not say "You shall not give out any information about someone", nor does it imply it.

It seems that different universities have made different interpretations of the act with regards to degree results.

Can we still publish degree results on Faculty notice boards?

This issue has been considered by the Information Commissioner (formerly the Data Protection Commissioner) who has concluded that provided there is nothing which would enable individual students to be contacted i.e. by the inclusion of e-mail or postal addresses or telephone numbers, then the publishing of degree results does not breach the terms of the new Act. However, if individual students were to indicate that they did not wish their names to be included on the published list, their wish should be respected.

theres alway a reason that it cant be seen ......... misplaced, busy ............

but i will put my foot down with a firm hand and insist!

All they need to do is contact the awarding body and request a duplicate of the certificate, so if they aren't willing to do that chances are they have something to hide.