Bard street flats

Going back a long time but would anyone remember Charlie Pigott/Spencer and /or family from Bard St flats?

Going back a long time but would anyone remember Charlie Pigott/Spencer and /or family from Bard St flats?

Sorry no, from the early eighties I remember the Goodyers and the Hensons.

In my school days i had a girlfriend who lived on Bard street. Ok so our Wybourn houses weren't exactly palaces but the first time i went to her house it was a real shock that put me in mind of Victorian work houses, or somewhere in a 3rd world country.

Made no difference to me though, she was lovely and her family very welcoming.

:thumbsup:

My great grandmother lived in those flats. She died in 1945. Rachael Spotswood. Anyone on here old enough to remember her? She was a real character. Only had one eye and wore a patch over the other one.

There was this school, between the flats and Bernard Street, which became a community centre...

Can you remember it's name?

i lived on bard street flats with my parents from 1969 to 1974

used to liye on stepney building mid 70is remember when you wanted a bath the basin used to fill bath up lived next door think jess mother pete son carlton

My great grandmother lived in those flats. She died in 1945. Rachael Spotswood. Anyone on here old enough to remember her?

Hi rogG, my family moved away from Stepney Buildings about 1945 when I was two years old, but my elder brother remembers a Sheila Spotswood who lived in the next block to us, but not your great grandmother, other names he told me from around that that area at that time were, Proudfoot, Bell, Gorman, Fenwicks, Powell, Corkers, Saxton, and Lavell.

He also said there wasn't any school there, what became the community Centre belonged to St John's church, and they had Sunday school etc there.

I have just found this topic on the Forum having recently registered. I was born at 60 Bernard Buildings, part of the flats of Bard street. My grandparents moved into the flat as first tenants and living there until there deaths. Their name was Steade. My sister was also born there in the same bed and the same bedroom. We had by then moved to the Arbourthorne into a prefab but mum went for her lying in back to my grandmas. I still had to attend school so I was sent to St Johns School for a few weeks. Yes it was dark and dingy after the school on the Arbourthorne which eventually became Norfolk Sec School but I enjoyed my short stay there. It was not run by nuns to my recollection I am sure I would remember a nuns habit if that had been the case. Yes the flats were not what we would expect now but I loved it. At least it had an indoor toilet and a Bathroom.

Edited by Gosa13654
Spelling

I remember the demolition of the big block, on Bard st, in the early / mid eighties when I lived on HPF.

I remember the other flats, on Bard/Old/ School Streets being done up, and was it crown place, the smaller, "sister development" to Regents Court (in hillsborough:- had the same architect) being demolished, too, around that time. (Blaskeys and the Duke St post office were housed in the Crown Place block. I remember as a child watching the fire engines deal with a fire on Crown Place.

The council maisonettes on Duke Street were also remodelled, and a new development, called Blackwell Court, was built on the site of the demolished flats, between Bernard St and Duke St.

WRT the flats, I think the council just refurbed them, and took the balconies away. not much change, really

Wasn't Crown Place also called Embassy Court?

I remember the old houses that stood on the site of HPF they really were slums and the ones off Granville St. Yes I remember Embassy Court but we as kids called them the White flats, we considered them very posh and none of the children, if there were any played with us. Bard St flats renovation is quite good. They are selling for a reasonable price and are a good renovation. Also Park Hill Flats they are amazing but not for me. Yes I remember Blaskeys and most of the shops on Duke St. Even remember the horse meat shop. My parents eventually bought the chip shop on Lord St. But we were compulsively purchased for park hill to be built moving to a chippie on Manor lane.

My older brother and sister were born on Embassy Court before my parents moved to South Street. I have a small painting on my wall about Duke St and Bard Street also a Tram going up Duke St. it does bring some good memories back, The council compulsory purchased our house on South St, too.