Bard street flats

Embassy Court and Crown Place were different blocks, Embassy Court was the white block as already pointed out, and Crown place was a little further down the road in front of the playground. It was a lot newer BLOCK than Embassy Court. Who can remember Willoughby,s the hardware shop?

I remember the hardware shop, I used to fetch paraffin from there for one of our neighbours.alan p.

There was a hardware shop as I recall but it was called dewires on duke St eventually having a shop on park hill flats. I also remember a shop owned by a lady called Liza Brynd she sold ladies items like stockings etc. Goodness I could go on forever. I agree with previous writer that crown place was below embassy court. I remember South street very well as it was near to the chip shop that my parents ran.

Hi to everyone who wrote about bard st flats, I lived on there until 1978 and I remember Bernard buildings and had a few friends who lived on both sets of flats

I remember the school at the bottom of the hill and I remember seeing it get demolished. Don't know if it was run by nuns or not though.

Edited by ward-46
missed out a letter

I realise this thread is a few years old, but I only joined the forum in May this year.

Our family lived at Stepney Buildings on Bard Street from 1953 to 1976 [i was 2 years old when we moved there] I recall those years with great fondness even though the area was pretty run down. The actual block we lived in is still there but obviously looks very different and isn't called Stepney Buildings anymore.

I used to know some of the people you mention Graham(pluggy) Bell Dave Fenwick, Len Lavell etc we used to play football in St. John's school till copper came lol also other names were Mick Khan, Dave Moore, Ernest Walker , Ray Schofield and many more

Does anyone remember  brothers Jim and Bob who had a housekeeper named Nancy who had a baby called Anne Marie from about 1947 - 1951

The old Sheffield Corporation built the flats. They were derelict by the 1980s which is why SCC and Ackroyd & Abbott redeveloped them. I know- I did the sale conveyancing, documentation pack during my time at the Town Hall, and I even had a half-day out of the office to walk around the blocks- Old Street as well as Bard Street.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Must have been late  80s ....as I remember fitting an alarm on one of these after the reburb ....88-90 ish

i used to knock about with a kid from Bard st flats, think he was polish, Richard Slodyczak. used to sit on the steps and smoke woodbines as 14 year olds.