Bard street flats

does anyone remember bardstreet flats they were just of duke street( park hill flats)

we lived on bernard buildings just more or less next to bard st flats. My god those places was cold, i remember the damp was that bad it used to run down the walls. At night we used to get every available blanket, coat, anything to get covered up with it was that freezing. But having said that it was nice to have our own little home after living with in-laws. It would be interesting to go and have a look around them now to see what they are like.

I remember the demolition of the big block, on Bard st, in the early / mid eighties when I lived on HPF.

I remember the other flats, on Bard/Old/ School Streets being done up, and was it crown place, the smaller, "sister development" to Regents Court (in hillsborough:- had the same architect) being demolished, too, around that time. (Blaskeys and the Duke St post office were housed in the Crown Place block. I remember as a child watching the fire engines deal with a fire on Crown Place.

The council maisonettes on Duke Street were also remodelled, and a new development, called Blackwell Court, was built on the site of the demolished flats, between Bernard St and Duke St.

WRT the flats, I think the council just refurbed them, and took the balconies away. not much change, really

i used to live on bard street flats was there from 1975 to 1978, the flats were not too bad we just had a lot of trouble from the lad next door,so we moved.

Wasn`t there a barbers down there who was nick named,

"The demon barber of Bard Street"? :suspect:

He used to give all his customers the same cut!

Some of you people might be interested in my latest web page project which I am developing where I am attempting to document all the 20th Century high rise flats which are still in existance.

Here is my section featuring Park Hill Flats

Park Hill Flats

I was born in Stepney Buildings in the early 40's, I think Bernard St ran behind them, I know St John's church where I was christened was on that road somewhere, I remember there were 4 blocks of flats in a square & there was an air raid shelter in the middle, would be nice to know whether they are still there.

I still remember walking up a narrow road from Duke St, over the railway line and there was a kids playground on the right, god what memories.

Skippy, I would imagine that Stepney Buildings is no longer there, depending where exactly they were, as a lot of the older housing was cleared, wholesale, at the time of Hyde Park and Park Hill flats being built.

I do know that Stepney was one of the old street names, that was transferred to HPF when they were built taking over the land the streets stood on, previously. The bard st Section of HPF had a Stepney Row, and a Snow-Hill Row (the very smallest block of HPF on Broad St, near the Durham Ox.) named for Stepney Street and Snow Hill.

Hi All

I never went in the flats but Mum & Dad inform me that they were their first married home in the early to middle 50's.

Cold and a bit dark but it was their own place.

Regards

DD

Skippy, I would imagine that Stepney Buildings is no longer there, depending where exactly they were, as a lot of the older housing was cleared, wholesale, at the time of Hyde Park and Park Hill flats being built.

They were still there in 1970 PT, after the Parkhill lot were built, You are probably right PT, just found a photo on Picture Sheffield, they were under the slum clearance, now only a memory.

Was there a small school run by nuns close to the flats?