Kennings truck centre, penistone rd

Is there anybody out there who worked at kennings truck centre on penistone rd, in the 1970's and 1980's until it's demise in 1986?

I bet I know you Pete R.

I worked at Kennings truck centre up to 1970, I was there when the manager choked to death on his fish & chip dinner & Scottie tried to revive him & not long after an auto/electrician guy was crushed to death on one of the ramps.

Sorry to be morbid, but those are things I remember about the place.

I worked there from 1976-86, I remember scottie, there was him, a bloke called Alf Beech and another called Cyril Bucklow, when they got talking between the three of them they could spin a yarn and you wondered how we won WW2 without them.

other names remembered, Len Mitchell (Tiger), Ernie Mace, Des Walker, John Vessey, Bob South, Bernard Sanderson to name just a few!

Scottie was the original Rigsby from Rising Damp, he was exactly the same in every way.

Alf Beech worked in the body/paint shop as a handyman as I recall & I knew him socially.

I remember Tiger, nice guy. Bob South....he was ok, but a bit of an oddball.

The other names don't ring a bell.

Thats not "Fingers" is it ?

Do you remember that handsome young lad in the Parts Dept along with Crooksy, Bri Crowcroft and Terry Robbertson ? Yep thats me !

Mr Hunt in Serivce, along with Ray Green and Dave Hodson.

Garage: Yank, 'Ockers, Podge, Spider, Jimmy Tadpole, etc etc

I knew John Vessey,Graham Laing in parts,Roy Thompson frget the managers name now a little guy with a beard and lots on dosh.

I was there from 77 to 79 . John Vessey was the "resident" newsagent. Des Walker, top bloke, would take time to show me braizing, spot welding etc yet I was only the "stores lad".

There were some decent guys worked there.

Is your name Adrian?

I remember Brian & George in the stores

I can remember some of the lads out of the garage.

Chitts, Podge, Dougal, Jimmy Tadpole, Yank, Ray Parkinson, and the auto electrician Gary.

I worked in the Paintshop with Dave Pratt, Andy Morton, Dick Ellin & Steve Bellamy

Do you remember the Truck drivers Gilbert & Cliff & the sweepers Joe and Ernie?

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 20:10 ----------

I knew John Vessey,Graham Laing in parts,Roy Thompson frget the managers name now a little guy with a beard and lots on dosh.

The boss's name was Stan Haywood, he was a character, his past caught up with him, he left under a cloud, the place wasn't the same after Kennings lost the Leyland dealership.

Yep thats me.

I remember Gary the sparky and I still see Steve (trician) Jenks every now and then.

Dick Ellin is on Facebook quite often.

You cant forget Cliff, he'd walk at the back of customers while you were trying to serve them and he'd be there with his false teeth stuck half out of his mouth. Trying to keep a straight face was nigh on impossible.

Dougal runs the transport side at J J Shepherds I believe.

Tony Pitts (Cess as we called him) went into acting.

Ken Blackett and Roger Barnes in sales.

Walt Claxton and his wife Janet.

Bloomin' eck good old days.

I'm sure I still owe John Vessey for 10 No 6 and a Daily Mirror !!!

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 23:32 ----------

I'm just trying to put a face to your name. Mind you its 30 odd years since I started at Kennings (depot 147).

There was one time when me, Dick Ellin and Baz Taylor (worked with Ron Rumsby) were setting off oxy acetylene bombs and managed to blow some of the windows out in the back of the body shop. lol.

My dad worked in the bodyshop at Kennings for ages and was there when it closed in 1986. His name was Derrick Godley, sadly he passed away 18 months ago. Some of his work mates were John Kitson, 'Tiger', and a few others who's names ive forgotten. I was 'Spider's' apprentice at Herries Road Bus Depot in the 80's but hav'nt seen him since I left.

Hi Godders,

I remember your Dad very well, sad to hear he passed away, I saw him a couple of times after the place shut down, wasn't he in the Bolsterstone Choir?

I remember John Kitson, Danny Wright, Len 'Tiger' Mitchell, Derek Gascoigne, Albert Maw, Eddie Ackroyd, Hedley Slack, Des Walker, Ernie Mace, John Vessey, Steve Bellamy, Dick Ellin, Steve Horsfall, Dean Ryan, Karl Spottswood, Mark Battersby, Frank Lindsey, Frank Wilson to name a few

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 17:03 ----------

Yep thats me.

I remember Gary the sparky and I still see Steve (trician) Jenks every now and then.

Dick Ellin is on Facebook quite often.

You cant forget Cliff, he'd walk at the back of customers while you were trying to serve them and he'd be there with his false teeth stuck half out of his mouth. Trying to keep a straight face was nigh on impossible.

Dougal runs the transport side at J J Shepherds I believe.

Tony Pitts (Cess as we called him) went into acting.

Ken Blackett and Roger Barnes in sales.

Walt Claxton and his wife Janet.

Bloomin' eck good old days.

I'm sure I still owe John Vessey for 10 No 6 and a Daily Mirror !!!

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 23:32 ----------

I'm just trying to put a face to your name. Mind you its 30 odd years since I started at Kennings (depot 147).

There was one time when me, Dick Ellin and Baz Taylor (worked with Ron Rumsby) were setting off oxy acetylene bombs and managed to blow some of the windows out in the back of the body shop. lol.

I was the young fresh faced (long haired) lad out of the Paintshop (without the beard). I remember the episode with the acetylene bomb, that was Christmas time, a lad called Trevor Barnes filled a balloon with acetylene gas & tied a piece of string to it and lit it, it went out originally so he went back and lit a short piece which went up, as I remember it sent him deaf for a while.

Such fun.

How is your brother Andy?

Thats his name Stan Haywood your right about him being a character he owned thing no ordinary working man could afford including a large boat didnt his son do a spell there,I remember Him leaving under a very large cloud.I knew John Vessey for 26yrs and sorry to say he died about 4 yrs ago.Graham Laing had the Motor shop opposite Hillsboro park,he committed suicide in a land rover which I sold him,he pestered me to sell it to him,I now wish I never had.