Bernard Taylor and his Band - Sheffield City Hall

I seem to remember that in the early 60's they used to have 'tea' dances at city hall. Does anyone know what that was all about?

I think they still have tea dances on a Saturday afternoon.I can remember going to the city hall in the 50s&60s jiving the night away, amongst other things.

I think they still have tea dances on a Saturday afternoon.I can remember going to the city hall in the 50s&60s jiving the night away, amongst other things.

Oooh me too:hihi::thumbsup: perhaps we had a bit of a bop together at some time......:)

Oooh me too:hihi::thumbsup: perhaps we had a bit of a bop together at some time......:)

If you ever had your tootsies trod on, that was me.:hihi:Some of the names I remember were Joan Taylor,Josie Ashton,Victoria,Shirley,Chris,Arnie & John Allott & Don Cardwell.

Yeah old Hayden, he did sing a bit, his speciality was a song called 'Close your Eyes', great guy.

And also, am I right in thinking these dances took place within the bowels of the City Hall? I've never been anywhere other than the main auditorium, but I'm sure the ballroom is downstairs. would I be right to assume that?

as you face the city hall the door down to the ballroom is on the right hand side.

thats where we used to go to the drop club in the late 80s.

Yes,Poppins - Noel Coward stuff : " We'll gather lilacs ", etc.( I think ).

I remember war time dances at the City Hall with Bernard Taylor and his band. They were always well attended,so there was'nt much room to indulge in fancy steps,even if you could. I don't remember him playing any Noel Coward songs,mostjy the popular songs of the time. He particularly liked to play 'Rampart street parade',and we all were glad to hear it . He had two vocalists,one male,and one female. One member of the band was Harry Zussman,a Saxophonist,he was in my class at school at one time. If you were a keen dancer,it was better to go to a Thursday afternoon tea dance (Half day closing) when there was more room on the floor. Any leave I got from the RN,a lot of the time was spent at the City hall dances,so I look back on those times with great affection.

It was when the big band swung into the Glen Miller stuff that still gives me the funny feelings and would get my feet going.....

Don't ever be with me in the supermarket when they play this over the public muzak system.....:hihi: You'd probably get run over with my trolley:banana::clap::banana:

THE 1942 kELLYS LISTS Bernard Taylor dance band 51 Dobcroft Rd. S7

Not listed in 1938 or 1951 at this address, unable to trace.

On attending one of tea dances, a well known City Hall character remarked, 'Reminds me of the play, Tea and Apathy.' One of Gerry's pals.

I have asked before, on other City Hall Dance threads, if anyone knew anything about Bob Stanley and what became of him. He was quite a bit older than most of us, wore Barney Goodman suits, drove a big American car and always had a few blondes in black dresses hanging on to him. I have never known what he did for a living although he was supposed to be rich.

Perhaps I should start a Bob Stanley thread.

Pattricia has claimed to be one of the blondes but has never come across with any other information.

I was only on nodding terms but I always thought he had a car showroom somewhere up Heeley. But then again it could've been two other guys.