Bernard Taylor and his Band - Sheffield City Hall

As is my understanding, around the time of the second world war, someone called Bernard Taylor performed at dances with his band at the City Hall.

I have a rough idea what kind of music they would have played, but does anyone know exactly what songs they did? Did they cover Noel Coward songs, for example?

And also, am I right in thinking these dances took place within the bowels of the City Hall? I've never been anywhere other than the main auditorium, but I'm sure the ballroom is downstairs. would I be right to assume that?

I don't know if he was at the City Hall during the War but he was there in the 50's and Early 60's..His Band used to play old time and Modern dance music he used to have a resident singer up front who used to croon all the latest ballards the like of Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Young, Frankie Lane etc:..My favourite was "A foggy day in London Town" I used to dance/shuffle around the Ballroom singing this song into my girlfriends earhole...I was told that "Bernard Taylor" was a Drummer before he formed his band...but I always remember him stood at the front conducting.

Hola Pilon, I remember Bernard Taylor's band down the City Hall, and you're right on the button saying 'the bowels', because the dances were held downstairs. They were very popular in the 50's and 60's when I used to go there. In all probability they were popular before that. It was a good band, with good musicians, good readers, soloists,etc,etc. The drummer sometimes had a singing spot, he was okeh, no big deal, but good enough. Well sure he played Noel Cowards stuff occasionly, but then again, the guy was a prolific writer so all dance bands of the period played his tunes. Dont forget we're talking of a time just before the music business went into free fall. Bernard Taylor's band had a 'book' two foot thick, so you had to be able to play!

Guest poppins

Noel Coward Stuff ?

When I first started work as an apprentice in 1964 at Newton Chambers one of the men there was called Roy Whitham and I believe he played clarinet in the aforementioned band.

Oops! Sorry popps!

I can always remember the band playing "Lets take it nice and easy, it's going to be so easy" great memories of a differant era.I once had a strange chat up line in there,which was" which end of the bath do you sit"? I hadn't the heart to tell him, that at the Heeley slipper baths you didn't have time to dwell on such things, we were to busy cleaning the bath out some pink gritty stuff,as the world and his dog had just shared the same bath!

Bernard Taylor Is My Great Grandad!! (trouble5 daughter!)

He was my Grandfather.

He played Sinatra, Basie and all that type of jazz.

My Dad told me a story of him playing and the town hall being bombed. Grandad sent parts of the band all over the hall so that people that were stuck there until the bombing had finished would be entertained!

Any more information or memories would be lovely!

He was my Grandfather.

He played Sinatra, Basie and all that type of jazz.

My Dad told me a story of him playing and the town hall being bombed. Grandad sent parts of the band all over the hall so that people that were stuck there until the bombing had finished would be entertained!

Any more information or memories would be lovely!

Hi I danced to Bernards music in the wartime and yrs after, mon, thurs, and sat nights Ioten recall those days and find myself humming one of the dance tunes Blue Moon don't know if that was the proper title, happy days [and nights] Arthur,

I had a relative who played the drums in the band. His name was Hayden Cook. I was young at that time but I can remember sitting up at night to listen to him on the radio.The boys in the band were top class musicians. Not like the so called bands we hear today who would not know a Bb from an Ab.

I seem to remember that in the early 60's they used to have 'tea' dances at city hall. Does anyone know what that was all about?