Castleton Collapsed Old Road?

Whats the story behind the old collapsed road in Castleton? Can anyone tell me what happened to it and when? Does the road still exist, and if so where does it go now?

Just curious!

No. The link to the in depth stuff is dead

Mam Tor?

When you go there, there is a sign telling you about it's history. Basically, they kept rebuilding it, but it kept collapsing, do to too much land movement (not quite the techical name). So they basically thought 'sod it' let them struggle up Winnats Pass (sp)

Whats the story behind the old collapsed road in Castleton? Can anyone tell me what happened to it and when? Does the road still exist, and if so where does it go now?

Just curious!

It's still there, albeit fallen to bits in most places.

I've been meaning to cycle down what's left of it for a while, give us a shout if you're up for it.

Is Winnats Pass still open or not please?

Or is it some more forum scaremongering? :D

Winnats pass is still open.

It's the old road down to the left when you're heading back that is closed, but walkable and cycleable, if a little precarious due to large parts being collapsed.

I didn't know it had been shut?

Not scaremongering at all - if you look at the bottom of the page in the link it's about the old Mam Tor Road.

The road originally took you to Chapel-en-le-Frith (a place that is incredibly well sign-posted in Sheffield although one wonders why: there's absolutely nothing there!). Constructed beneath Mam Tor - or, the Shimmering Mountain as it as aptly known - the road suffered from land movement and subsidence almost immediately.

It is a road which has always fascinated me, yet its history is largely unknown. There aren't any books de facto regarding Mam Tor Pass and only a few photographs prove that it were ever a main road. I visited the road a number of times back in 1989 and was amazed at the way the road, huge slabs of tarmac had slid down the hillside, leaving, in places, huge crevices and newly created rock faces. I have been back since and the damage is certainly ongoing. IMO, the only chance of rebuilding the road would be to tunnel it under Mam Tor itself - the land is breathing and like a belly its movements are noticeable.

At first, there were minor landslips and a traffic control system was put in place where the road had become single carriage. I'd guess this was in the early 1970s and I think I can remember travelling on the road, probably on the way to Buxton circa 1975/6. However, subsequent land movement made it too dangerous for motorists and so the road was closed around, IIRC, 1976. (I stand corrected on the dates here.)

There used to be yellow signs on the outskirts of the Peak District which informed drivers which roads across the Pennines were open. Woodhead and Snake Pass were usually indicated as being open, Chapel-en-le-Frith (Mam Tor) was ALWAYS classed as being closed. (The signs have since been removed. I recall there being one opposite the Ladybower Inn.) I often wondered if it would ever re-open.

Alas, no chance. Take your friends out to see the road and the power of nature. The road encroached on Mam Tor and she didn't like it. With a shrug of her shoulders, the road slipped off and away and therein lies a lesson: Don't mess with mother!

Mam Tor - or, the Shimmering Mountain as it as aptly known

Call me a pedant but surely it's the Shivering Mountain, the 'shivers' being the movements that cause the landslips.

If you heard the tale in a pub, I'd recommend getting you ears syringed.......

:P

"Shivering" Mountain is correct.

I'm pretty sure I have driven on the original road in the very early 1960's to get to Leek (Staffs)........the destination being Trentham Gardens.

I understand that Trentham Gardens is "no more" now, too.

If I recall correctly, the shale faces of Mam Tor were an awesome site when traveling in both directions.