Help with the name of the Market Tavern

:)Yes it was called Rotherham House. It was next to the market on Exchange St and has also been called The Old Number 12 and The Market Tavern. I worked in Castle Market and would sometimes go on my break. The Brunswick was the one near the House of Curls When it was The Old Number 12 it was a Berni Inn and we had our works Christmas Party there. As Alex says, any bets?

wrong again..

The old no 12 was beside House of curls hairdressing salon:- in this picture, it was roughly where the bus is, on that row of shops between davys restaurant at teh corner of castle street, and the insurance company's offices, at the corner of King street.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s00003

I believe the phase you were looking for at this juncture was 'skank! get a wesh!' or even 'stubbage!'

I believe the phase you were looking for at this juncture was 'skank! get a wesh!' or even 'stubbage!'

"stubbage!" OMG! I haven't heard that phrase in "yonks" :lol:

In the eighties it was The Gardens for a short time .Used to have a disco upstairs ,there was a lad called Andrew who was the DJ (well sort of DJ)

well the two pics from meaks' last post are definitely not the same building.

The Market Tavern was called the Rotherham House in the 60,s,the rotherhan tram car started from just in front of there.The Old No12 was known as the Double Six and was a favourite haunt of the Dixon Lane traders.Does anyone remember the Royal Oak in King Street?

:clap: :clap:

thanks Meaks, I KNEW I wasn't imagining my misspent youth. I've been searching picture sheffield to find a pic of that section of Haymarket showing that pub. unfortunately, buses and canpies got in the way of them, on the ones I could find! (I knew it was next to House of Curls, because in the very early eighties, me and my cousin used to get our hair done there, before our crazy nights out round town.)

even if you had been right the picture states it closed in 1955 so it would not be there in the 80`s

well the two pics from meaks' last post are definitely not the same building.

That is true, - but the two buildings are on the same site. The original Rotherham House was demolished and the new building erected sometime in the 1920s-30s I think, - although it could have been much ealrier than that.

I have a reference somewhere to the exact date of the redevelopment, - but I'm not spending all night looking for it :D

It was definately called the Garden in the early 80's. Remember it well. They used to serve lager in long tall flute glasses and had about 10 video screens round the downstairs bar. I remember Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood being on them all the time.

Yes it was 'The Garden' in the 80's. It was bought by Mecca, who at that time ran the ice rinks, bingo halls & nightclubs. The Garden was their 1st venture into the pub market, but it didn't last long & they sold it to Whitbreads.

I was a DJ on the mecca curcuit at that time & after several one night apperances eventually ended up as the resident DJ at the Garden for a few years.

The manager for most of the 80's was Richard & his assistant was Mark.

The upstairs of Market Tavern was still left as the Garden used to look up until a couple of years ago.

Hope that clears up the 80's!