2 questions - one about laptops - one about cars! Please help!

well my mates brother has said he can fix it for me so looks like i will just go to scrappy at weekend and get a new sump - sorry, what do i actually need to get from the scrap yard then? :)

It depends what's broken; if your mate's brother reckons he can fix it, he should have been able to assess what is actually wrong in the first place.

You'll need a new sump gasket and sump plug gasket, and probably a replacement sump from the scrapyard. Is it a 'take your tools along and unbolt what you need' affair, or a 'turn up and ask whether they've got one on their shelves already unbolted', setup? You just need to make sure someone is taking along the required kit if it's the former; a socket set and perhaps some star-shaped bits for it - I suggest someone takes a look under your car to check the fittings.

does anyone know a mechanic that wont charge the earth that will come out and check it out and (if i get the things i need to repair it!) will repair it??

thanks x

MissG - you really need somone capable of properly diagnosing the problem before you go buying parts. It doesn't take much mechanical awareness to figure out if there is/isn't a leak in the sump, and then replace it if there really is.

The fact that you've had a half opinion from someone who didn't then offer to fix it seems a little fishy to me - they could easily have just been repeating technical sounding mechanical phrases but have no idea what the issue is or what they're even going on about.

I recommend you find someone who actually knows what a sump is, to look at your car, before you buy/replace anything - otherwise you risk wasting time & money and not solving the issue. :(

MissG - you really need somone capable of properly diagnosing the problem before you go buying parts. It doesn't take much mechanical awareness to figure out if there is/isn't a leak in the sump, and then replace it if there really is.

The fact that you've had a half opinion from someone who didn't then offer to fix it seems a little fishy to me - they could easily have just been repeating technical sounding mechanical phrases but have no idea what the issue is or what they're even going on about.

I recommend you find someone who actually knows what a sump is, to look at your car, before you buy/replace anything - otherwise you risk wasting time & money and not solving the issue. :(

thanks steve but it was acually my dad who had a look at it and said it was the sump - that is why i was going to go to scrappy and buy a new one and whatever else i need and then see how much it would cost a mecahnic to fix it for me, any ideas?? x

thanks steve but it was acually my dad who had a look at it and said it was the sump - that is why i was going to go to scrappy and buy a new one and whatever else i need and then see how much it would cost a mecahnic to fix it for me, any ideas?? x

If you dad is competent enough to diagnose the fault, ask him to fix it?

By "the sump", did he mean that the sump gasket is leaking, the sump itself has become damaged or rusted through, or just that the sump plug is loose/missing? "The sump" doesn't tell you much I'm afriad.

I don't know Sheffield garages either, sorry. Anyone who can get under the car and fully diagnose what the issue with the sump is, and who can use a socket set should be able to fix your problem though - honestly - any of the above are easy jobs; you just need to know which job it is that needs doing so you can get any required parts and get it done. :)

(The 'sump' is just the mini washing up bowl thingy that sits directly below your engine, and is where all the oil collects before it's taken by the oil pump back up to the internals and splattered all over the place to keep them running smoothly - it's nothing clever at all). If you've got any ramps, or can park it half on a high kerb so you can get underneath - take some photos and we'll see what we can do.

it would be very surprising if the sump had corroded I,as a mechanic,have known it happen,I suppose its feasible but highly unlikely,now the sump gasket might have gone which is a very easy but time consuming job