2 questions - one about laptops - one about cars! Please help!

a2 what car is it?as supra steve said it could cost a small amount but on some cars the gearbox has to be moved away to access some sump bolts:(

If its a leaky sump, my guess is a Fiat Punto, Brava, Bravo or Marea. No doubt the OP will now prove me wrong!

right i will show my mum this thread about the laptop as i do not understand any of what you are saying (sorry) not clued up on PCs etc.

in question to number 2 - i drove the car home while it was leaking but by the time i had got home there was still some oil left in it, so i havent drove the car with no oil in it so i am guessing there should be no damage to the engine!! with the sump is it easy to fix, i cant drive the car to a garage as it has no oil in it now, or barely any, any more help would be very grately appreciated!!

thank you x

in question to number 2 - i drove the car home while it was leaking but by the time i had got home there was still some oil left in it, so i havent drove the car with no oil in it so i am guessing there should be no damage to the engine!! with the sump is it easy to fix, i cant drive the car to a garage as it has no oil in it now, or barely any, any more help would be very grately appreciated!!

thank you x

If it's not a major leak (i.e. it's just dripping rather than pouring out), top it up to the "max" mark* and then drive it to the garage. Driving without enough oil in isn't far removed from driving it without any oil in it - damage will occur. If you're lucky it'll be slight (e.g. increased engine wear) if you're unlucky it'll be major (e.g. the engine could seize).

Do NOT start the car unless it has enough oil in it. If in doubt; get it towed.

* = check your handbook for whatever grade it needs then go buy 5 litres of that specification; put half a litre in at a time and wait at least 5 mins before re-checking the dipstick, as it'll take that long to trickle it's wasy into the sump. Give the rest of the oil you don't use to the garage and they can use that to at least partially refill the engine when they've replaced the sump & gasket.

If it's not a major leak (i.e. it's just dripping rather than pouring out), top it up to the "max" mark* and then drive it to the garage. Driving without enough oil in isn't far removed from driving it without any oil in it - damage will occur. If you're lucky it'll be slight (e.g. increased engine wear) if you're unlucky it'll be major (e.g. the engine could seize).

Do NOT start the car unless it has enough oil in it. If in doubt; get it towed.

* = check your handbook for whatever grade it needs then go buy 5 litres of that specification; put half a litre in at a time and wait at least 5 mins before re-checking the dipstick, as it'll take that long to trickle it's wasy into the sump. Give the rest of the oil you don't use to the garage and they can use that to at least partially refill the engine when they've replaced the sump & gasket.

it was seeping through and coming out very quickly - the day before it was full (oil) the day it started leaking, when i got it home it was on the minimum line - it has since carried on leaking out. so cant drive it anyway i dont think it will be worth the risk!! is it easy to replace the sump?? x

it was seeping through and coming out very quickly - the day before it was full (oil) the day it started leaking, when i got it home it was on the minimum line - it has since carried on leaking out. so cant drive it anyway i dont think it will be worth the risk!! is it easy to replace the sump?? x

Just top it right up, then start the car and have a look underneath whilst the engine is running (that's when the oil is under pressure and most likely to leak / will leak at its fastest). If it's only dribbling out and the garage is only a few minutes away you can risk it - or play it safe by stopping somewhere flat very 5 mins, checking the level & topping up if necessary.

Or just call the garage and get them to collect it. HTH :)

* = check your handbook for whatever grade it needs then go buy 5 litres of that specification; put half a litre in at a time and wait at least 5 mins before re-checking the dipstick, as it'll take that long to trickle it's wasy into the sump. .

my daughters just changed her oil, i wondered why she kept popping in to check on me every five minutes.

this post answers it clearly

You can get a new sump from here £65

http://www.vauxallparts.co.uk/index.php?pname=Engine%20Oil%20Pan%20(Sump)%20MVAP94468569&product_id=8727&option=Prod_detail

And the Sump gasket £14.95

http://www.vauxallparts.co.uk/?product_id=181382&option=Prod_detail&image_id=133383

You could get a second hand sump from a scrap yard, probably about £20 ish, but you will need a new gasket, which most local motor factors could supply.

I'd reckon an hour to two hours work for a good garage to change this and the oil / filter.

Looks like 18 bolts fixing the sump in place.

So about £15 for a gallon of oil, £15 for a gasket, £10 for a filter, £20 for a second hand sump (although most garages wouldn't give you any warranty using 2nd hand parts) or £65 for a new one, plus probably a £100 labour. Plus about a £5 for some sealing compound (if needed)

£150 - £200 would be about the right ballpark figure, providing no damage has been done to the internals of the engine.

Maybe its the sump seal?

Or the drain plug has worked loose/dropped out:).

well my mates brother has said he can fix it for me so looks like i will just go to scrappy at weekend and get a new sump - sorry, what do i actually need to get from the scrap yard then? :)