Do we have a Jewish community in Sheffield?

The phrase "people identifying as Jewish" is a great example of using four words where one will do. Is there anything wrong with the simple word Jew?

What's wrong with using four words? I was being clear and accurate, and that involved using four words. Also, I'll use as many bloody words as I damn well like. Problem?

Yep you got that right! The older you are the more painful it is...ok so now you can uncross your legs:(

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 23:23 ----------

A friend of mine converted to Islam 5 years ago and he hasn't had the snip

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 23:25 ----------

Since we are on the subject could anyone direct me to a Butcher that sells Kosher prepared meat and chicken whether Jewish of not within the Sheffield area please....Thank you

That's easy - Waitrose :D

there was a large furniture manufacturer on green lane called Scotts who made top class suits some of my relatives worked there .They told me many of the workers were jewish including two brothers called Sam and Ike Bronks who were up holsterers and could carry a three seater settee downstairs on their own .the company was jewish owned

Most reformed Jews now accept that 'jewishness' can also be transferred through the patrilineal line. Eg from your father as well as your mother. If the child grows up following the Jewish religion and celebrating Jewish holidays, traditions etc and their father is Jewish then they are also seen as Jewish.

Only by Reform, which is not the same as Judaism.

If converted according to Jewish law: Jewish.

If 'converted' not according to Jewish law: not.

If a Jew converted to Christianity, would they still be classed as a Jew? I ask because they would still have been born of a Jewish mother?

---------- Post added 19-08-2013 at 15:59 ----------

No, of course not.

But their status depends on:

a. whether the mother was born a Jewess by the Jewish definition; or

b. whether a conversion was valid by the Jewish definition.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 18:05 ----------

But, other than male circumcision, the processes are identical: an initial attempt at dissuasion, a lot of studying, an intensive period of practising under supervision, and immersion in a Mikva [ritual bath-pool].

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 18:06 ----------

Eh? Why can't they? News to me!

It was not a Synagogue in Sheffield, however it was a Saturday.

I was told that women can enter Synoguoges were 'Liberal' Jews worship but not Orthodox. Is that because there is a separation between male and female Jews when they worship?

I was also surprised to learn that where Liberal Jews worshipped, there were even female Rabbis.

1. Once someone is a Jew, the status is irrevocable.

2. The phrase 'Liberal Jew' is inherently meaningless. One either is a Jew or one isn't.

3. Women can of course enter a synagogue- but seating is separate.

yes we do!!! orthodox and Reform.contact me!!!

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 20:47 ----------

Jeffrey, if you want to eat wider diet than chicken.... Or you want to get challahs, etc and work on a Thursday morning..... It isn't so easy here. thank goodness for Titanics!!!

There is an official Jewish community website available for all interested: http://www.jewishsheffield.org.uk/

---------- Post added 19-07-2013 at 12:58 ----------

Yes- to do this "not easy" task:

a. enter Waitrose;

b. buy goods; and

c. er, that's it.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 20:48 ----------

Jeffrey's views are valid but other Jews adhere to different traditions.

If a Jew converted to Christianity, would they still be classed as a Jew? I ask because they would still have been born of a Jewish mother?

I was told that women can enter Synoguoges were 'Liberal' Jews worship but not Orthodox. Is that because there is a separation between male and female Jews when they worship?

I was also surprised to learn that where Liberal Jews worshipped, there were even female Rabbis.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 20:49 ----------

Jeffrey's views are valid but other Jews adhere to different traditions.

Of course there are jewish people in Sheffield- but what sort of a question is this? Why do you want to know?

There is a synogogue (or there used to be), in Ecclesall, and I think many jews lived in that area and probably still do.

No, Sheffield is not Leeds or Manchester- we do not have distinct ethnic areas like them, nor obviously a large orthodox community- instead Jews mix with ordinary people- I wonder if you can spot them as you walk the streets of this city?

" We do not have distinct ethnic areas like them " What planet are you on ?

" We do not have distinct ethnic areas like them " What planet are you on ?

You've just replied to a comment from 4 years ago...

Ha ha- six years is a long time! I no longer live in the great city of Sheffield but visit often and sometimes get sent notifications from this forum. I was surprised to read my reply, did I write that? The sentiment still stands, and if I can defend my claim that Sheffield does not have distinct ethnic areas I meant in the context that Leeds and Manchester traditionally have larger Jewish populations than Sheffield, and therefore it may be easier to identify where those communities might be. As far as I know I'm still on planet Earth- though you are free to guess whether that may in fact be true or not. These days you never can tell!

Of course there are jewish people in Sheffield- but what sort of a question is this? Why do you want to know?

There is a synogogue (or there used to be), in Ecclesall, and I think many jews lived in that area and probably still do.

No, Sheffield is not Leeds or Manchester- we do not have distinct ethnic areas like them, nor obviously a large orthodox community- instead Jews mix with ordinary people- I wonder if you can spot them as you walk the streets of this city?

I know this is a very old thread. But I'm glad Jews mix with ordinary people.

Myself, I only mix with the extraordinary people, I don't lower myself to mix with the rabble.

Me too- though the extraordinary and the rabble sometimes mix and become a throng. Throngs are good.