Do we have a Jewish community in Sheffield?

The phrase "people identifying as Jewish" is a great example of using four words where one will do. Is there anything wrong with the simple word Jew?

Yes.

Judaism has a strict definition of who is or isn't.

But some members of similar groups- e.g. Reform, Progressive, etc.- might believe themselves to be Jews without actually being so.

Yes.

But some members of similar groups- e.g. Reform, Progressive, etc.- might believe themselves to be Jews without actually being so.

Traditionally, being Jewish meant one born of a Jewish mother.

In that case, where do converts stand, are converts not classed as Jews?

Traditionally, being Jewish meant one born of a Jewish mother.

In that case, where do converts stand, are converts not classed as Jews?

If converted according to Jewish law: Jewish.

If 'converted' not according to Jewish law: not.

Do you get many converts? I thought it was something you're born into and it is difficult to be accepted as a convert.

Do you get many converts? I thought it was something you're born into and it is difficult to be accepted as a convert.

that just about sums it up.

Yes.

Are you saying reform/progressive Jews are not Jewish?

Not so difficult for women, but I should imagine rather off-putting, due to being slightly painful for adult male converts!

Well as a respecter of all religions, I for one was not taking the Micky unlike Nagel's post which I hope gets deleted.

As a serious comment, I am unaware whether adult males who convert to Judaism have to be circumcised?

The reason I ask is because the older a male becomes the more likely he is to be put-off converting if such an operation is required. The same applies to males

converting to Islam also.

How are people expected to learn about other religions when you can't enter synagogues?

Edited by poppet2

Are you saying reform/progressive Jews are not Jewish?

No, of course not.

But their status depends on:

a. whether the mother was born a Jewess by the Jewish definition; or

b. whether a conversion was valid by the Jewish definition.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 18:05 ----------

Not so difficult for women, but I should imagine rather off-putting, due to being slightly painful for adult male converts!

But, other than male circumcision, the processes are identical: an initial attempt at dissuasion, a lot of studying, an intensive period of practising under supervision, and immersion in a Mikva [ritual bath-pool].

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 18:06 ----------

How are people expected to learn about other religions when you can't enter synagogues?

Eh? Why can't they? News to me!

Yep you got that right! The older you are the more painful it is...ok so now you can uncross your legs:(

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 23:23 ----------

Well as a respecter of all religions, I for one was not taking the Micky unlike Nagel's post which I hope gets deleted.

As a serious comment, I am unaware whether adult males who convert to Judaism have to be circumcised?

The reason I ask is because the older a male becomes the more likely he is to be put-off converting if such an operation is required. The same applies to males

A friend of mine converted to Islam 5 years ago and he hasn't had the snip

---------- Post added 03-08-2013 at 23:25 ----------

Since we are on the subject could anyone direct me to a Butcher that sells Kosher prepared meat and chicken whether Jewish of not within the Sheffield area please....Thank you

I wish they would cut every one's todger off who decided that they were going to follow a religion .

The World would be a so much peacefull place for man and beast alike.

No, of course not.

But their status depends on:

a. whether the mother was born a Jewess by the Jewish definition; or

b. whether a conversion was valid by the Jewish definition.

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 18:05 ----------

But, other than male circumcision, the processes are identical: an initial attempt at dissuasion, a lot of studying, an intensive period of practising under supervision, and immersion in a Mikva [ritual bath-pool].

---------- Post added 01-08-2013 at 18:06 ----------

Eh? Why can't they? News to me!

Most reformed Jews now accept that 'jewishness' can also be transferred through the patrilineal line. Eg from your father as well as your mother. If the child grows up following the Jewish religion and celebrating Jewish holidays, traditions etc and their father is Jewish then they are also seen as Jewish.