Do I need solicitor?

considering purchasing stip of land. (to extend the garden) do i need to go through conveyancing to purchase the land or can it be done yourself with agreement in writing from sellar?

buying for £2500 + my and his solicitor's cost (my soli and his would set me ~£1000 back),

question

is there cheaper way of doing it?

I would have thought it would have to be recorded with the land registry, its not just a mater of drawing up a agreement with your neighbour, what if they move and the new neighbours want the land back.

Better to get a solicitor instructed. You never know what kind of historical information is on the strip of land. Could have issues like chancel repair etc. Better to get a solicitor to carry out the relevant searches and then proceed. You get the peace of mind and if the solicitor fouls up, you can pursue him for negligence. He would have indemnity insurance anyway so you are covered.

Call around to get quotes. Cheapest way.

considering purchasing stip of land. (to extend the garden) do i need to go through conveyancing to purchase the land or can it be done yourself with agreement in writing from sellar?

buying for £2500 + my and his solicitor's cost (my soli and his would set me ~£1000 back),

question

is there cheaper way of doing it?

The land that you intend to purchase would probably be a asset so the legal cost should be looked at in that light.

The £1000 may well be money very well spent in the long term.

In the short term you would know and feel satisfied that the job had been done correctly.

I'd check through the Law Society, if the same solicitor can act for both parties when dealing this matter. That should cut the conveyance cost down.

£1000 for legals sounds high to me, especially on a low value basic transfer.

Certainly shop around and even try online conveyancing.

One firm can only act for both parties if they are already established clients. To ensure that there is no conflict of interest, new business clients will have to use separate firms.