Sheffield surname ~ Eblet

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the surname Eblet, which although quite rare, is fairly common around Sheffield. There are a few 'Eblet's' in the Newcastle upon Tyne region, but they are most prolific in the city of Sheffield.

Yes, I am an Eblet and I'm curious. A look in the Sheffield telephone directory shows a number of Eblet's yet the name is almost non existent in most other UK locations.

There are a few Eblet's on the 1861 census index around the Handsworth and Woodhouse area of Sheffield

Did you go to Filey county Junior school Stevo?

No, I was 11 1/2 when I left Sheffield in 1973, so I went straight into Filey secondary school.

Do you know Filey yourself?

Many years ago,ahem I'm showing my age now!,there was a fish and chip shop at the corner of Upper Hanover St and Aberdeen St,during the late thirties and war years and this was kept by someone with the name of Eblet,I think there daughter was called Dora.

Originally posted by stevo

No, I was 11 1/2 when I left Sheffield in 1973, so I went straight into Filey secondary school.

Do you know Filey yourself?

yes I do, My mum had the hair salon on West street in the 80s. I probably know some of your friends. Do you know PIP and TUSH? and any of the Robinsons?

Originally posted by bonny

yes I do, My mum had the hair salon on West street in the 80s. I probably know some of your friends. Do you know PIP and TUSH? and any of the Robinsons?

Oh Yes!

Tush runs the Station Hotel. Pip (if you mean Pip Farline) is still fishing and as a member of the lifeboat, he has been awarded medals for bravery. I know Steve and Brian Robinson. Richard, Gina, Gemma and Jo Robinson.

Filey is a small place. :)

Originally posted by stevo

Oh Yes!

Tush runs the Station Hotel. Pip (if you mean Pip Farline) is still fishing and as a member of the lifeboat, he has been awarded medals for bravery. I know Steve and Brian Robinson. Richard, Gina, Gemma and Jo Robinson.

Filey is a small place. :)

I saw Pip a last year. Suzanne worked for my mum. Still hear from her. Ask them about Dawn & Barry.

Found this Eblet whilst trawling through the 1841 census

Thomas Eblet age 56 carter Arundel Street

Thanks Retep,

There are quite a few Eblet entries in the Sheffield census returns. I'm curious as to where the name originates. There are various theories that have been put to me.

I know a Gillian Eblet who married a chap called Les Benn, I used to know his brother Stuart.

Yes, I've found reference to Gillian Eblet on the internet. I think she has a position at the Uni? I don't know her however and she isn't part of my immediate family, as far as I know.

Thanks for the info.

:)