Land of any value? advice needed

Hi just wondering if anyone could recommend a company/someone to give us advice re a small piece of land we own that a couple of estate agents have suggested that it may be able to be built on and have said get it checked out. However who do you go to or ring to get this sort of information - (a) if it is feasible that it could be built on (b) next steps you should take © would want someone who would sort it all out go to council etc and get outline planning. Anyone have any experience in this matter or dealings. Thanks Sue

I also had a piece of spare land- I sold it on and now someone is building on it- although the planners turned it down when I applied.

You could consider getting a surveyor who will submit an initial plan for you (at a cost, but shop around), and then submitting plans yourself.

Or, ask local estate agents for names of local builders and developers (I found the Halifax really useful for this), as builders may buy the land from you to 'sit' on, until it becomes viable to build on.

Although I'm sure someone will make a packet from the land I sold, I don't regret letting it go, as it will make demands on your time and purse, that you may not, in the end, get back. It is a risk.

Good luck.

Hi thanks so much for that advice much appreciated.

Or, ask local estate agents for names of local builders and developers (I found the Halifax really useful for this), as builders may buy the land from you to 'sit' on, until it becomes viable to build on.

Never ask an agent for builders/developers contact details. They will be totally biased towards the builder who will give them the instruction back when the property is built.

As for the land:

Take a photo and plan to the local planning officer. He will look at it and give you a quick preliminary yes/no or maybe. And it will be free at this stage.

Things to consider:

Access, off-road parking, overcrowding, overlooking neighbours, impact on street scene etc.

If the planning officer has no immediate concerns find a local architect (one man band) who deals with the local planning office on a regular basis. He will prepare some ideas for how a building could look.

You should definitely sell the land with planning permission. The planning officer will specify if outline will suffice. The site might require full PP if awkward or anticipates some objections.

As for value:

Obviously depends what the land can be used for. Full PP will command more than outline; and significantly more than land with potential for building.

there are definately some rogue agents out there steer clear of blundells for one... i recently sold a strip of land too.. i contacted Winkworth Estate agents who were superb, one of the Directors Phil Price helped me you should try them

good luck