Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Remember the wicker arches as fallout shelter

anyone old enough to remember the wicker arches being used as an airaid shelter my mother says she used it elizebeth mitchel as she was then

Hi I well remember these arches being bricked up , with an entrance at each end in a zig-zag fashion, i was going through one day when a man came dashing through and knocked me and a sq; of glass i was carrying to the floor , he kept on runnlng shouted Sorry mate can'tstop i'm late for work. Cheers Arthur.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s01082

I'm not quite old enough to remember the air raid shelters but Adolph must have known your mum was inside during the blitz and dropped a couple of bombs on her. If you get the chance to walk through the main arch, look up and you will see where a bomb came through and was later repaired with concrete.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s01082

I'm not quite old enough to remember the air raid shelters but Adolph must have known your mum was inside during the blitz and dropped a couple of bombs on her. If you get the chance to walk through the main arch, look up and you will see where a bomb came through and was later repaired with concrete.

my mother says she remembers it she thinks it killed a woman but shes not quite sure but she was their at the time it happend

Hi I well remember these arches being bricked up , with an entrance at each end in a zig-zag fashion.

I remember when they were bricked up with the zig-zag entrances. As I recall, the brickwork was only about 8-10ft high. It didn't go up to the top of the arch.

As for the bomb going through the main arch and exploding on the road. The blast also dislodged some of the huge blocks of stone that formed the parapet of the main arch and these also fell onto the road.

I don't believe anybody was injured by this falling msonry although there were other deaths in the vacinity at the time.

Soon after the blitz, all the remaining parapet masonry was removed from above the main arch to prevent it being dislodged in possible future raids. The stone blocks were replaced

with regular handrailing which may still be there. As for for all the blocks of stone, these were dumped on the waste land sites on Andrews and Stanley Street, in the Wicker Area. There they remained until the various sites were redeveloped in the late 1950's onwards.

At the time of the bomb going through the arch, my parents and I were sheltering in the cellar of an old cutlery works on Andrews Street. (This building later became part of Snow & Co. It was only demolished two or three years ago to build the new ring road).

I was very young at the time of the raid but I remember this huge bang, the building appeared to move, lots of dust fell down on us and all the doors were blown open.

Regards