Are there any good Ska nights in sheffield?

check out sheffields very own top ska/reggae bands Bison, Amiko & The Superficial Heroes, really top people and great music

Cheers man Thanks a lot pal!! Check out Dj Dready Burns' the guy who posted this nice comment he plays sum sick Ska/Dub tunes!

Simmo (The Superficial Heroes)

don't foreget that superficial heroes are playing this sat afternoon at the old harrow gleadless on scooted and booted from 12pm till 1am free so what good value

Is there an age limit on this? I took my son to see Bad Manners at The Sticky Rock do at Skeggy on Sunday and he loved it. He is only 13 so age restrictions would rule us out.

Where abouts is that?/ how do I get there and what time?

DQ does The Funkyard on a Monday every week, is free entry and plays funk soul and ska (mainly like skatellites etc)

just bumped this up to say Dead 60's, General Disarry & Catch it kebabs @ Plug tonight 7.30pm doors, £10adv.

:thumbsup:

This ones's a must for all ska fans, a DJ set from Jerry Dammers at DQ-The late bar on Thursday nov 2nd!

Press Release

A very Special Love Sheffield Music Hate Racism night for Bass Bar at DQ-The Late Bar Jerry Dammers and the screening of the classic film ‘Who Shot The Sheriff’ on Thursday Nov 2nd

Yes that’s right the Sheffield Love Music Hate Racism group are moving on fast. Having launched their brilliant double album of Sheffield music on Thursday October 5 2006 at The Hubs their next move is to bring the legendary Jerry Dammers to Sheffield on November 2nd when he will introduce the screening of the classic Rock Against Racism documentary ‘Who Shot The Sherrif’ and play a DJ set.

The LMHR group have teamed up with the Sheffield based Junglist Alliance, promoters of the jungle-based Bass Bar Thursday night at DQ-The Late Bar on November 2nd for a night of chat, film and bass driven music.

Jerry Dammers, although once a Sheffield resident, (between the ages of 2 and 10), puts in a very rare appearance. Jerry in case you missed out on the guy before was the man who founded the Specials, whose first single, ‘Gangsters’ released in 1979 helped launch the whole Britsh ska scene as well as hitting the charts at the number 6 position. The single went out on the brand new 2Tone label, backed by ‘The Selector’ by The Selector and distributed by Rough Trade.

‘Gangsters’ was based on ‘Al Capone’ released by Prince Buster in 1964 and this choice of material; the make up of the band; alongside the name ‘2Tone’ with its black and white chequered graphic and rude boy logo based on Peter Tosh (the Wailers) was more than a gimmick; it showed a strong commitment to respect for black British and Jamaican culture and unity, in the face of the growing racism of the times.

Jerry signed up The Selector, Madness ,The Beat and The Bodysnatchers, amongst others to 2Tone, making it one of the most influential labels in British pop music. In addition to his continuing success with the Specials, including writing the anthemic ‘Free Nelson Mandela’, Jerry played a big part in promoting Rock Against Movement, and helped organise Nelson Mandela’s 70th Birthday Tribute which was broadcast worldwide from Wembley Stadium in 1988.

Rock Against Racism was a broad-based political movement which united black and white musicians with the high energy of the punk, ska and reggae music of the times to put out a positive and strong message of unity and played a key role in stemming the rising influence of the nazi National Front and British National Party in Thatcher’s Britain.

Rock Against Racism is the link with the new Love Music Hate Racism movement with which it shares similar objectives and to kick off the evening on November 2nd. Jerry will be introducing the screening of Alan Miles’ documentary ‘Who shot the sheriff’ charting the story of one of the most exciting mass movements in British history. The film which tracks the rise of fascism in the 1970s and its successful overthrow, largely achieved through Rock Against Racism features rarely seen archive footage of The Clash, The Specials, Steel Pulse, X-Ray Spex, Sham 69 and Misty and Roots. At the same time it charts the new Love Music Hate Racism movement with footage of Ms Dynamite, The Libertines, Babyshambles, Hard-Fi, Estelle and Billy Bragg.

Later on in the evening (around 11.30) after the Junglist Alliance DJs set the music rolling Jerry Dammers will be playing an exclusive DJ set featuring ska, reggae, dub, dubstep and more bass friendly music before the Junglists take over again to see the night out..

For more info: Sheffield Love Music Hate Racism Group 07986368897, [email protected].

Listing Information Date: Thursday Nov 2nd Venue: DQ-The Late Bar, Fitzwilliam St Event: Bass Bar featuring the Junglist Alliance and special guest Jerry Dammers and screening the film ‘Who Shot The Sheriff’ Time: Intro and film 8.00 pm then on till 3.00 am Entry: £3 on the door

There will be a fair bit of ska (of the old school Jamaican variety) played at the Love Music Hate Racism hip-hop & ska night in the Raynor Lounge this Saturday 14th October, when DJs from Phon-etics and Quoi de Neuf? will be taking turns at the decks to bring you a night of hip-hop, ska and whatever else takes your fancy in a celebration of musical diversity and cake.

Non-students are welcome and advised to email [email protected] in advance so we can stick you on the guest list to make sure security let you in the Union building.

For more information go to:

http://www.myspace.com/lmhrsheffield

http://www.myspace.com/clubphonetics

http://www.lovemusichateracism.com

Love Music Hate Racism hip-hop & ska night

Sat 14th October, 9pm-2am, Raynor Lounge, Sheffield University Students' Union

Feat. Quoi de Neuf? and Phonetics DJs.

Tickets £3 advance (from Union box office) / £3.50 on the door

All proceeds to Love Music Hate Racism & Assist Sheffield.

Would love to go to one.

Does anyone know.......?

riddimtion is on tomorrow fri 13th oct at uniq club

On the ska side, don't forget that Jerry Dammers (Specials/2Tone label) is in Sheff on Thursday Nov 2 at DQ-The Late Bar. He's come up with the film 'Who Shot The Sheriff' all about the ska and Rock Against Racism gigs of the early 80s the film's got lots of rare footage of the 2Tone acts (the label Jerry started), Clash gigs etc - he's introducing the film at 8.00 pm and then playing a rare DJ set around 11.30, lots of ska guaranteed. £3 on the door.

There 2 or 4 good ska bands around Sheffield.

Bison are playing in the next couple of weeks at Mappin St.

A is for Ape are looking for a new drummer and the catch it kebabs have got a new album out. All 3 are worth seeing I think.

wow I didn't know the catch it kebabs were still about. I've still got their first album...or what I beleive to be their first album; 'monkey lovin'. Thats good for them.:)

Would love to go to one.

Does anyone know.......?

can i just ask what a ska night is then i might be able to tell you:help:

I'm moving up soon! I'll be checking this thread all the time then so please keep posting, much appreciated :)