Does anyone remember this holiday place

Christmas carol singing then nativity play. I remember my parents crying buckets at the end, come to think of it I don't know if that were due to the thought of me coming home :suspect: (must ask my mum about that) Lol

I remember buying a badge in the shape of a flower in aid of fairthorne when i was at school

I remember buying a badge in the shape of a flower in aid of fairthorne when i was at school

its thanks to people like you fairthornes was kept open never a lot of public funding for places like that back then they needed money from generous members of the public like yourself thanks from all of us who was lucky enough to enjoy it

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

When I attended the Central Technical School, 'Fairthornes' was our main charity.

The whole school raised money every year to help the unfortunate children there.

Glad to hear from someone who benefitted from it.

I was at Nether Green junior school - 1956 to 1961. Fairthorn used to have a little booklet showing black and white pictures of cute kids, I think you paid a small amount to buy a book, or maybe a page from the book, the money going to Fairthorn.

you lucky lucky lucky B******

we (a poor family) used to go every year to "Ourgate"

where's that you ask?

at the bottom of our yard.

you lucky lucky lucky B******

we (a poor family) used to go every year to "Ourgate"

where's that you ask?

at the bottom of our yard.

i suppose you went to Rome aswell

rome round garden:hihi:

My mum Rosanna Capewell, went to Fairthorne in the late 50s - its only just come back to her although she can't remember why. She was a skinny kid, nickname 'Olive' so perhaps that's why.

Fairthorn has its own thread here. It was established at Redmires in the 1920s, as a convalescent home for sickly or underweight children. They would be well fed and could play games etc. and go on long walks, as well as being given jobs to do. In 1934 the home moved to a large building at Dore. It closed in 1971.

I was at Nether Green junior school - 1956 to 1961. Fairthorn used to have a little booklet showing black and white pictures of cute kids, I think you paid a small amount to buy a book, or maybe a page from the book, the money going to Fairthorn.

I remember the book of pictures of kiddies that you'd "buy" for coppers.

It was called "Sunny Smiles", but I don't remember it being for Iairthorne, I thought it was for the NSPCC or Dr Barnardos homes.

I remember Fairthorne really well as I lived there for about 6 years in the 50s. My Mum & Dad (Barbara & Harry Chumbley) were warden and matron there. My name is Kathryn and my brother's Peter. Fairthorne was at the top of Townhead Rd in Dore - down a long drive and looking across to the moors. We left there for Norfolk when I was 11 but I can remember the exact layout of the house and grounds. In those days children came for one month at a time; girls one month, boys the next and there were normally about 25. There were two resident house assistants (Margaret Moody and Edna Walton) who helped with the children and domestic duties. I can also remember daily cooks, Miss Ollerenshaw and Vi Stormont.

Sharing my Mum & Dad with 25 other kids was an unusual childhood but they were generally happy years. My brother and I went to Dore school and the worst part was having to set off for school every morning knowing that all those other kids were going to have a great time playing rounders, going for picnics etc in our absence!

Looking back, I am amazed how the place ran thanks to the charitable donations of the people of Sheffield. The schoolteachers on the committee worked tirelessly to raise funds and my parents used to hold Bring & Buy coffee mornings at Fairthorne as well.