Scissor and knife trade.

I was a grinder/buffer at Hopkinsons, at the back of London road in the early 70s.

remember a pal of mine working for A Wright and son paternoster row

Hiya,

i would like to hear from old contacts people who worked or their faily members worked at the george ibberson from 1969 to 1980s, becaause worked there i knew alot of staff then especailly George Hale , he was a great man any info on him plz contact me

my freinds were i wish to make contact with them or their familes etc:

Mr George Hale- my manager best person great man

Mr Underwood_ Manager Gr8 man

Mr Walton

Mr Dennis Cheetham

Mr Keith Moorby and mrs Elaine Moorby

Mr Jim or James

Mr Frank charlesworth and George

Mr Peter King

Bob or Rob Cheetham

Mr Harry Oxley

and Mrs Oxley

K sampson

V sampson

Earnest

Jeff or Geff

Derek Dawson

Frances

Mable

Julie

Sue

Liz

Kath

Mr Peter Biggin

and many more

please get in touch

Mr Hussain (Bash) Mr George Hale gave me this nickname he wa s a gr8 person !!!

Dear Janner of Plymouth, "has anyone noticed this sad state of affairs?". I'm affraid I have spent a lifetime observing it !

Four generations at least of my mother's family were spring knife cutlers and my working life was spent buying and selling them. I was in and out of the Sheffield works every week for 45 years and maybe I should write a book !

In the 1980s when it began to dawn on the Sheffield, stuck -in their-old-ways makers, that the Swiss knew a thing or two about knives, Denis Slater (god rest his soul) went to visit the Victorinox factory at Swytz to see if he could learn anything. They were pleased to show him round their wood yard but no way was he alowed to enter the workshops in case he picked up their secrets !

For the past 20 years I have carried a slim engine turned Victorinox knife in my pocket and I use it several times each day. I have dozens of Sheffield knives as you might expect but none of them comes close !!

Sheffield cutlery is a fascinating story but I suspect no different to textiles, shoes, ships or motorbikes.

Bob.

I worked at Cowlishaws pen and pocket knives on Hill Street which was in what was like little mesters buildings and the owner was like something out of a Charles Dickens novel, thought he owned you and this was in late 70's -I didn't stay long:roll::help:

I loved all the nights out when i worked at surmanco in the 70s, and the laughs at work, i used to be shy until i worked there!

Worked in the wages office at Surmanco for a year 1978-79. It was my first job after leaving school and was my first experience of 'real' life. Still everyone was very friendly in the factory (sometimes too friendly) especially when it was pay day.

Ha ha i bet they were friendly on pay day, best working years of my life, we had a laugh and there was some right characters worked there.

I worked at Homeric (off Upwell st) when i left school , met my husband there, we both went to work for Surmanco when it bought Homeric in 1990 , I left in 93 to have a baby but my husband worked there until it closed and then moved onto pro forge with some of the staff . We had some good laughs and some good nights out , cant believe its 18 yrs since i left there!

Dear Janner of Plymouth, "has anyone noticed this sad state of affairs?". I'm affraid I have spent a lifetime observing it !

Four generations at least of my mother's family were spring knife cutlers and my working life was spent buying and selling them. I was in and out of the Sheffield works every week for 45 years and maybe I should write a book !

In the 1980s when it began to dawn on the Sheffield, stuck -in their-old-ways makers, that the Swiss knew a thing or two about knives, Denis Slater (god rest his soul) went to visit the Victorinox factory at Swytz to see if he could learn anything. They were pleased to show him round their wood yard but no way was he alowed to enter the workshops in case he picked up their secrets !

For the past 20 years I have carried a slim engine turned Victorinox knife in my pocket and I use it several times each day. I have dozens of Sheffield knives as you might expect but none of them comes close !!

Sheffield cutlery is a fascinating story but I suspect no different to textiles, shoes, ships or motorbikes.

Bob.

Thanks for that insight Robert, I thought it may just be me who had that feeling about Sheffield knives.

Hiya,

i would like to hear from old contacts people who worked or their faily members worked at the george ibberson from 1969 to 1980s, becaause worked there i knew alot of staff then especailly George Hale , he was a great man any info on him plz contact me

Mr Walton

Mr Dennis Cheetham

Mr Jim or James

Mr Peter King

Bob or Rob Cheetham

Mr Harry Oxley

and Mrs Oxley

K sampson

V sampson

Earnest

Jeff or Geff

Derek Dawson

Frances

Mable

Julie

Sue

Liz

Kath

Mr Peter Biggin

and many more

please get in touch

Hiya,

Mr Walton

Mr Dennis Cheetham

Mr Jim or James

Mr Peter King

Bob or Rob Cheetham

Mr Harry Oxley

and Mrs Oxley

K sampson

V sampson

Earnest

Jeff or Geff

Derek Dawson

Frances

Mable

Julie

Sue

Liz

Kath

Mr Peter Biggin

and many more

please get in touch

hi

I work at george Ibbersons

now owned by Eggington bros,

I was taught by Pete King although he is now retired i still keep in touch, there is also Roy Joel hand grinder, I know Keith Moorby he was my boss when I worked atTaylors Eye Witness.

I've worked in the cutlery trade since i left school in 2002 and I love it.

Steven :)