Scissor and knife trade.

anyone here work in the scissor trade in the 70s.

george ibberson, surmanco.or the one off upwell st that i can never remember the name of.

Also helped to make knives in 70s still got glistening hands to prove it.lol.

anyone worked in these trades.

I think the scissor factory off Upwell street you were thinking of was called 'Homeric'

I knew Joe Murray a "Little Mester" who had his own grinding business. Sitting all day on the "horse" with that big stone spinning between yer legs...No Thanks..

Also in a cleaner environment, Eschmanns manufactured surgical scissors all the way through the process from hot stamping the blanks to final polishing.

I think the scissor factory off Upwell street you were thinking of was called 'Homeric'
hi i worked there think i was about 17 im well ive retired now if i remember right it was german company i remember my gran was not happy about me being there don t think i stayed very long but i seem to remember going to pub at dinner times

Hiya , i worked at surmanco in 1976, best working years of my lfe. we had a right laugh. good times .

I worked at surmanco not long before it closed down. The people there were ace to work with. Had some great laughs...

Even though i had no choice but to work in these places then,

I would never let my children anywhere near a factory.

it was low paid dangerous, slavery. most of the time.

I can easily understand you not taking to the tool trade cycleracer.

BUT i never had any encouragement to do anything else.

or the confidence.

a little encouragement makes all the difference, my lads are doing something they really want to do. the only good thing about these factories was the comradeship all the friends you made.

But alas friends are made anywhere.

i worked at latham and owens witch belonged to hiram wilds and also worked at grants on eyre st , but the people i would like to see most is the ones i used to work with at rutland cutlery in the 70s when we had the blackouts. i would like to say do you remember me saying [ settle down now]. Edited by tigerman
got name wrong

hi i worked there think i was about 17 im well ive retired now if i remember right it was german company i remember my gran was not happy about me being there don t think i stayed very long but i seem to remember going to pub at dinner times

----------

hi ya girl,

i use to work at homoric in chambers lane in the 60s, very stricked firm, well it was german owners, could have known yer

now retired.

My Father work at Ibbersons in the 70s and 80s. Think the works managers name was George Hale. Harry who was deaf and dumb worked there I think with his wife. Stan Shaw the well known pen knife craftsman also had his workshop there. Think Fanny was the canteen lady. Used to meet my Dad for a couple of pints at lunchtime in the Prince of Wales in Trafalgar street which no longer exists.

----------

hi ya girl,

i use to work at homoric in chambers lane in the 60s, very stricked firm, well it was german owners, could have known yer

now retired.

hi im afraid i don t remember any names only that i used to walk to work with a few people we used to walk down jahnnson sreet as i live carbrook but i remamber ablonde girl used to walk with us who was planning her wedding and remember i and a lot of the workers went to her wedding and a good was had by all love j

I worked as a polisher in an ice skate factory in 1974 - somewhere near Bramall Lane I think. I only lasted a couple of days. It was like walking back in time to the Victorian age. I remember standing in a queue at the end of the day waiting to 'get weshed' at a big old sink in the yard. Not the worse job I ever had but close!

I know this is sacrilege but recently having bought two Sheffield made pen knives I have to say they do not hold an edge like Swiss Army knives. Has anyone else noticed this terrible state of affairs.?

i worked at latham and owens witch belonged to hiram wilds and also worked at grants on eyre st , but the people i would like to see most is the ones i used to work with at rutland cutlery in the 70s when we had the blackouts. i would like to say do you remember me saying [ settle down now].

yea an i got u the job t c we had some great laughs matey