Ghost and mystery stories about Castleton and Winnats Pass

Theres a story regarding 3men who robbed a newly married couple. Disposed of there Bodies then went crazy. If anyone has the full story of this legand or story could you please fill in the blanks for me. Also theres other haunted places I castleton isn't there.

This it is nicked from a website

This impressive limestone gorge is said to be haunted by a young couple called Clara and Henry who were murdered whilst eloping.

The pair were ambushed one night in 1758, robbed and killed, their bodies were found years later buried near a barn. Their remains were re-interred in Castleton churchyard.

It is said that years later a miner who was on his death bed confessed that he and four of his friends had committed the crime. He suggested that all of the perpetrators had met a sticky end.

------------------------------------------------------

Most of the time it isn't that difficult to find the info on google. This took me all of 10 seconds.

One of the trips down the mines ( speedwell I think) will go into full detail about what happened and also tell some terrible jokes about the aftermath. A flat minor is one of the punchlines.

The castle pub claims to have 4 ghosts and there are loads of other stories about castleton.

Winnats pass is somewhere that means a lot for me for personal reasons but I find Castleton a bit to Ye oldie. Do you want blue john on your chips sort of place.

Thank for your time and effort I will check google maybe theres more great place to start. :D

My book shelves are in a bit of a mess at the moment due to having building work done but I have got several books about some of the folklore and history of derbyshire and sheffield.

It's something I've been interested in for a long time.

I must admit that Castleton has a firm hold on me as well. I have cycled up Winnat's Pass loads of times and it's (as with all the surrounding area) beauty is breathtaking.

Originally posted by vidster

I must admit that Castleton has a firm hold on me as well. I have cycled up Winnat's Pass loads of times and it's (as with all the surrounding area) beauty is breathtaking.

Riding your bike up Winnats is certainly breathtaking, you can hardly breath at the top.

I to do this hill regular.:gag:

Ah, just the mentioning of the name Castleton whilst I'm sat at this desk is like a huge stress-buster. I love the place whether it be in summer (sat in the Castle's beer garden or walking around looking in the shops) or in winter when there's a mist descending on Winnat's Pass and Mam Tor is barely visible.

In winter, Christmas preferably, all the Christmas trees lit up, sat in the Bull's Head by the fire drinking a bottle or two of Owd Tom (it knocks your socks off). Lovely.

To any students new to Sheffield, I recommend a trip to Castleton at Christmas to see the lights - a million times better than anything you'll see in town (more traditional too).

In summer, a walk up the old road beneath Mam Tor, to see the power of nature. That is one freaky road!!! Still, it's a smoother ride than Sandygate Road.....,

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Riding your bike up Winnats is certainly breathtaking, you can hardly breath at the top.

I to do this hill regular.:gag:

I know where your coming from there:). I must admit i have neglected the cycling this year. Probably the reason for being so fat now!:hihi:

I Now Live In Canada (ontario) But Visit Castleton Everytime We Come To Sheffield, It Really Is The Closest Thing To Heaven!

the saddle belonging to the murdered couple was on display in the shop on winnats pass,they were eloping to get married and stayed the night in a local pub,the miners decided to waylay them next morning,they were murdered and their bodies hidden down one of the mines, each miner involved died in a horrible way,the last one confessed all on his death bed

I remember seeing the side-saddle used by the eloping couple on display in the gift shop of the Speedwell Cavern - see for example http://ephem.blogspot.com/2005/06/winnats-pass.html

In the 1960s I had a school pal who was interested in geology, and we used to visit Winnats Pass at weekends, gathering fossils and rock samples. We often went, equipped with torches, into the Old Tor Mine (on the right-hand side of the pass going up, not far from the top - a path leads to the entrance) but you can't go in it now as there is a locked gate barring the entrance and the roof of the main "cavern" (which had three holes down which you could abseil) has been sealed. Maybe too many people got stuck, as we went a good 150 yards along the passages and never got right to the end. I think the mine was mainly for Blue John, rather than lead, and Blue John was probably still being mined there in the 1960s, to judge from discarded pieces that could be found littering the floor. I still have some nice samples of Blue John - here's a photo of a 5-inch, 2½-pound chunk that came from the Old Tor Mine in 1969: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/BlueJohn.jpg

Its also said that you can hear the woman wailing up there:suspect:

Freaks me out when I go up there