Sign in to follow this  

Poorly kitten - upset tummy

Just needed some advice about my kitten from the cat experts on here!

He is 11 weeks old and since yesterday has been having diarrhea (or however you spell it!). He tends to try and pinch our food and jumps on the table constantly too see what we are eating or drinking so I'm pretty sure it must be that he has eaten or drunk some human food that didnt agree with him. I'm a bit worried though as I have noticed a bit of blood in his poo when cleaning his litter tray and he seems to have a sore bum. He has been to the toilet about 8 times today as opposed to his usual once or twice. Other than that he is his usual self - playing and running around like crazy as per usual and just as cuddly and friendly as usual.

I'm not sure if I should take him to the vets or whether it is just a bit of an upset tummy and I am overreacting and being an overprotective mummy...but I'm really worried about him.

Kerry

A vet is always the best person to ask if you are that worried :). Cats have quite sensitive stomachs so any change in diet can affect them, a change of brand in biscuits or meat, or pinching human food :rolleyes:, mine do it often! If you haven't noticed blood in his poo before it is quite possible to be an effect of the runs. Is he still drinking water and eating? I have before now not fed mine for a day to help them clear their tummies out but i'm not a vet so it would be best to ask your vets advice before you starve etc. You may find that he is right as rain tomorrow :)

see a vet soon as. blood is not a good sign but it may be nothin but a bad tummy sure he`ll be fine

when emily had diorhea the vet suggested we stop feeding her wet food and just give her biscuits. she hasnt had diorhea since :)

Thanks for the replies.

He is still the same this morning, still got diarrhea but he is eating and drinking fine and doesnt seem in any pain at all. He seems perfectly happy - if I hadnt seen his poo in his litter tray then you wouldnt know anything was wrong at all.

He just eats dry food anyway and I usually give him cat milk but I havent given him any of that this morning, so just water and biscuits for him! Taking extra care now not to leave any human food or drinks where he can reach them.

He is currently sitting next to me while I type, just looking at me purring, very cute! I think I will ring the vet tomorrow if he is still the same.

Kerry

If Diarrhoea lasts for a more than a couple of days then you should see a vet. Diarrhoea in kittens/puppies can be dangerous as they can dehydrate very quickly and can be life threatening.

I would check it out to be on the safe side, hope kitty is feeling better soon:love:

has he been registered at the vets yet?

might be worth taking him down to get him registered and looked over. and you can book him in for his injections :)

Yes he's registered at the vets and went last monday for a check up and his first lot of vaccinations, vet said all was fine and he was very healthy. He was very well behaved at the vets - just sat there and purred!

I'm guessing they wont be open today except for emergencies so I will take him back tomorrow to make sure all is OK.

PS: Keely I'm glad your Emily is OK - I have been following your threads as we got our kitties round about the same time

My kitten is 5 months and he's had loose stools, only the once today at about 7:15pm, but it did have blood in it. Not loads but enough for me to notice. He's due to be neutered tomorrow so will be at vets anyway but I'm a bit worried. He isn't acting ill, and is his usual self. He has eaten more tonight than what he usually would as someone else fed him and I think he over indulged. Could it be that? Hope someone replies soon so we can have a good nights sleep!

My kitten is 5 months and he's had loose stools, only the once today at about 7:15pm, but it did have blood in it. Not loads but enough for me to notice. He's due to be neutered tomorrow so will be at vets anyway but I'm a bit worried. He isn't acting ill, and is his usual self. He has eaten more tonight than what he usually would as someone else fed him and I think he over indulged. Could it be that? Hope someone replies soon so we can have a good nights sleep!

Yes that is probably it, just a bit of a tummy upset I wouldn't worry to much, just mention it tomorrow.