Air pistols & guns. Time for them to be licensed?

Should you have a licence?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have a licence?

• Yes, all air rifles and pistols should be licensed
    • No, air weapons should be available without a licence
    • I'm unsure

SIGH

and if somebody wants to learn to shoot, maybe to become a sportsman they join a proper club and shoot licensed.

some chav rabbiting down the woods aint gonna become our next olympic hero from it

Not sure about that one, I started off that way, never got to the Olympics but shot for England several times.

Angel.

Care to enlighten me then Conrod ?

Here is a review of the pistol:

I GOT THIS GUN A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO I HAVE USED MANY AIR GUNS BEFORE I HAVE TO SAY THAT THE CROSSMEN 22 CAL 2240 CO2 POWERED HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST POWERFULL ONES OUT THERE AND IS PERSONALY ONE OF MY FAVORITES I LOVE THIS GUN BECAUSE OF ALL THE DIFERENT MODS AVALABLE TO U AND IT REALY PACKS A PUNCH AT 460 FPS WICH MAAY NOT SOUND LIKE MUCH BUT REMEMBER THAT IT IS IN 22 CALIBER AND IS ONE OF THE ONLY AIR PISTOLS AVAILABLE FOR HUNTING I HAVE HAD SUCCES WEN HUNTING RABBITS ,SQUIRLES,GOLFERS,WEASELS,CROWS...

Proof is in the reading....

Aye and if it's a LEGAL air pistol it will be sub 6ft lbs. Not "powerful" enough for the legal shooting of pests - FACT.

That some one has purchased a low powered air pistol and is making wild statements about it's performance, is a joke to those "in the know".

Angel.

I GOT THIS GUN A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO I HAVE USED MANY AIR GUNS BEFORE I HAVE TO SAY THAT THE CROSSMEN 22 CAL 2240 CO2 POWERED HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST POWERFULL ONES OUT THERE AND IS PERSONALY ONE OF MY FAVORITES I LOVE THIS GUN BECAUSE OF ALL THE DIFERENT MODS AVALABLE TO U AND IT REALY PACKS A PUNCH AT 460 FPS WICH MAAY NOT SOUND LIKE MUCH BUT REMEMBER THAT IT IS IN 22 CALIBER AND IS ONE OF THE ONLY AIR PISTOLS AVAILABLE FOR HUNTING I HAVE HAD SUCCES WEN HUNTING RABBITS ,SQUIRLES,GOLFERS,WEASELS,CROWS...

Is there an emoticon for a sigh? So the review written by some kid who bought an air pistol is to be taken as the definitive reference on what an air pistol can do.

Did he list results of tests on human cadavers to sample skull and flesh penetration, and lethality at different distances and different parts of the body? No, he mentioned that you can kill things like crows and squirrels.

It's deeply frowned upon by most shooters to use an air pistol for hunting these animals, as its low energy makes a clean kill difficult - and that's on creatures with skulls not much thicker than eggshell. You can also kill them with a marble in a catapult - does that make the catapult a lethal firearm? Of course not.

Air pistols are made to produce 6ftlb of muzzle energy, no more, compared to 12ftlb for air rifles.

You're seemingly impressed by a huge number like 460fps from a gun - what does that mean?

Muzzle energy is calulated by multiplying the weight of the projectile in grains by the square of the muzzle veocity in feet per second, and dividing by 450400. That makes the pistol in this example a 6 ftlb model. I've tested these in the past, and few make more than about 5 ftlb (manufacturers claims & all that).

What will 6ftlb do? It will smash an egg, burst an apple, or kill a rat or squirrel if hit a very close range. It would kill small birds or some others with a head shot, but bounce off the chest feathers of a pigeon or crow. To a person, it wouldn't go through your coat at point blank, and if it hit you on your jeans it may well not go through the fabric, but would indeed leave you with a nasty welt underneath. In bare flash it would break the skin and penetrate a few mm at point blank, though at, say, 20 yards it would not even penetrate skin. The greatest danger, at very close range, would be blinding. That can also happen with felt tip pens and paintbrushes.

The smallest, least powerful firearm pistols in .22 calibre are about 80ftlb, and a relatively low powered .38 might be about 250ftlb which is about 'entry level' for stopping a human being. A 44 magnum is about 1200ftlb , and big hunting rifles can be 6000 ftlb.

6ftlb is in catapult territory, but only small catapults.

Edited by Conrod

SIGH

and if somebody wants to learn to shoot, maybe to become a sportsman they join a proper club and shoot licensed.

some chav rabbiting down the woods aint gonna become our next olympic hero from it

Not sure about that one, I started off that way, never got to the Olympics but shot for England several times.

Angel.

Same here, and that's the starting point for most competitive shooters..

I am quite sure that this ----> http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/832_1_21793.html firing at 460fps would be more than capable of killing someone when fired at close range.

Then clearly you do not understand the relevance of that muzzle velocity, the kinetic energy it translates to and the sort of damage it can do.

Conrod is correct. The fps is not the same as the power output. A snowflake may travel at 460fps but will it kill you?

You really think that guy is being serious? That he goes around killing golfers? And that's your proof?

The fact is that no legal air pistol shoots at more than 6ft/lb.

Don't you find cutlery more of a threat?

EDIT: Also, anyone who "hunts" with an airpistol is an idiot, there is not enough power to ensure a clean, humane kill of vermin.

The question still remains, does anyone know of any instances where somebody has been killed by a legal air PISTOL?

Edited by RootsBooster

Surely they mean gopher :hihi:

Conrod is correct. The fps is not the same as the power output. A snowflake may travel at 460fps but will it kill you?

You really think that guy is being serious? That he goes around killing golfers? And that's your proof?

The fact is that no legal air pistol shoots at more than 6ft/lb.

Don't you find cutlery more of a threat?

EDIT: Also, anyone who "hunts" with an airpistol is an idiot, there is not enough power to ensure a clean, humane kill of vermin.

The question still remains, does anyone know of any instances where somebody has been killed by a legal air PISTOL?

and you failed to spot the obvious typo there then ? Golfer's :hihi::hihi:

Well I thought it was funny :roll:

Surely they mean gopher :hihi:

A goldfish for AJ :hihi::hihi:

Being serious now though *sniggers* I know that an air pistols pellet is hardly going to kill someone because of its relatively low velocity but !! (there had to be one) My son has got a Diana sp50 pop out pistol that wouldnt kill a very soft thing, very close... buut !! if the pop out barrel hit you on the temple when fired, I bet that would have potential to kill you !!

;)

Being serious now though *sniggers* I know that an air pistols pellet is hardly going to kill someone because of its relatively low velocity but !! (there had to be one) My son has got a Diana sp50 pop out pistol that wouldnt kill a very soft thing, very close... buut !! if the pop out barrel hit you on the temple when fired, I bet that would have potential to kill you !!

;)

It would if you welded a nail on it.

;)

There are many myths about the temple - actually damage through that thin part of the skull is more likely to lead to eyesight damage than death.

However, the risk you describe also applies, more so, to the following:

A hammer

A housebrick

An electric drill

A cricket ball

The pointy end of a golf umbrella

The corner of a car door

But let's face it, anybody likely to put the pop-out section of one of those things to their temple is probably at more risk of putting their tongue into a plug socket.