Crookes valley park speed boat

I remember the bear pit, the tennis courts (where my sister tried to teach me tennis) and of course the long speed boat. Does anyone remember the Salvati family that lived and worked at the restaurant? Went to school with Tina Salvati, also Andrew Cuneo, who's dad was the iced cream magnate and whose vans were always parked at the entrances to the parks......happy days.

Wasn't there an ice cream kiosk at the bottom of the path leading up to the forerunner of Dam House.....or is my memory playing tricks?

I seem to recall that was the next port of call after a trip on the speed boat.

Yes Yerman ..i think your right ..im testing my memory now ..lol..thats way back when i was really small :D ..but i remember the icecream hut ..wasnt it at the top of the slope opposite Dam House?

Were the Cuneo's from walkley BILDRBORG?

They were in deed from Walkely, South Road to be precise, I was from Carr Road.

There was a rumour - unconfirmed at the time - that a Scottish footballer was once found asleep one morning in the speed boat in the middle of the dam after a heavy night's drinking. At the time there was a Scottish winger at both Bramall Lane and Hillsborough - football followers of the time will know who I mean - but it was never clear which one of the two was involved.

I am sure it was little more than a rumour but does anyone know different?

There was a rumour - unconfirmed at the time - that a Scottish footballer was once found asleep one morning in the speed boat in the middle of the dam after a heavy night's drinking. At the time there was a Scottish winger at both Bramall Lane and Hillsborough - football followers of the time will know who I mean - but it was never clear which one of the two was involved.

I am sure it was little more than a rumour but does anyone know different?

Jimmy Johnstone springs to mind - one of the Lisbon Lions - and who obviously was casting for a part in Jerome's novel?

They were in deed from Walkely, South Road to be precise, I was from Carr Road.

Yes i know who you mean ..my mum lives on Carr Road :) ..infact i think you may know her boyfriend ..he's lived on Carr road years ..Robert Marshall?

..or maybe not ... im guessing you are a lot younger than him :D

Chairboy,

Jinky was the more likely. However, 'oor Wullie' down a Hillsborough was no angel either.

Yes i know who you mean ..my mum lives on Carr Road :) ..infact i think you may know her boyfriend ..he's lived on Carr road years ..Robert Marshall?

..or maybe not ... im guessing you are a lot younger than him :D

Hi Ms. Tetley.....I lived at 122 Carr Road, left there to move to the Peak District circa 1975/6. I went to St. Marys on South Road. Don't recall a Robert Marshall though.

Chairboy,

Jinky was the more likely. However, 'oor Wullie' down a Hillsborough was no angel either.

It was certainly Johnstone in the incident but he sadly is no longer with us. The "Wullie" you referred to was Henderson who came from Glasgow Rangers so I don't know whether he had anything to do with the former Celtic 'Jinky'?

Hi Ms. Tetley.....I lived at 122 Carr Road, left there to move to the Peak District circa 1975/6. I went to St. Marys on South Road. Don't recall a Robert Marshall though.

He lives near the bottom of the hill ..not sure what number :) ..oh well :D

I remember the bear pit, the tennis courts (where my sister tried to teach me tennis) and of course the long speed boat. Does anyone remember the Salvati family that lived and worked at the restaurant? Went to school with Tina Salvati, also Andrew Cuneo, who's dad was the iced cream magnate and whose vans were always parked at the entrances to the parks......happy days.

Yes I went to school with Tina, did you not go to the 40th reunion at the Place pub in Broomhill 5 years a go?