Pipex broadband a question?

hi i joined bulldog in feb 06, which sold out to pipex.

today i get an email from plusnet saying that pipex have sold out to tiscalli, and would i like to switch to them.

any body know anything about this, or is it sharp practice?

Yeah, was wondering that too myself, and is it worth switching or staying with Pipex (or should that be Tiscali)?

hmmmmmmmm ive been on pipex for years and not noticed anything, nor had any emails??????

Hi there,

The email is genuine.

You should find that the header and footer of the email makes reference to the company who managed the mailing for us - You'd have had to have opted into receiving promotional offers from third parties in order to have received one of these though.

It's a pretty common marketing approach although admittedly it is kind of 'new territory' for us!

Kind Rgds,

Ugh plusnet, avoid like the plague. WORST isp ever. And no offence to the above guy, but their support ppl are horrid. Was with em a month and that was enough. Traffic shaping and the lot. Their forums full of complaints. They even threatned users who posted to help ppl out with canseling their internet.

As for pipex.....oh boy you need to search adsl guide a bit more.

Hi there DeathAxe.

I'm sorry that you feel we are the worst ISP ever. Thankfully our customer satisfaction levels dont reflect that in any way and the fact the we won the recent USwitch Best ISP award might just back that up.

A year or so ago we did go through a rough time but things have moved on massively since then and the general tone of our forums and the comments regarding us on TBB would reflect that.

They even threatned users who posted to help ppl out with canseling their internet.

That is absolutely untrue and did not happen. We absolutley encourage both positive and negative feedback on our forums and will never react badly to any customer who is trying to help others out or. That is the reason that our forums exist and that we will never change.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, dont hesitate to drop me a PM. I'll be happy to ahave a chat.

Hi Deathaxe,

Mark has already touched on this to an extent, but I wanted to add my own 2p if you don't mind.

Firstly, I'd ask you for any proof where we have forced customers to cancel because they have been helping out other customers. This is absolutely not the case and never has been, nor whether will be. Our Community is an integral area within our business model and we provide areas on our own site for Community based discussion, as well as partaking in other external forums such as here, ThinkBroadband, along with others.

As Mark has touched on, 12 months ago we were in a pretty horrible place with regards to customer and technical support, with wait times reaching as much as an hour. Since then, we've ogne a massive recruitment drive, trying to employ the creme de la creme of customer service and technical support analysts in Sheffield and the South Yorkshire area. The headcount within the Customer Support Centre is about as high as it has ever been and we're still looking to increase these numbers. Currently, the average call waiting time is just over 3 minutes (which is actually slightly higher than usual on account of the long weekend) and we aim to continually drive this lower.

Yes, we do use traffic shaping. Again, this is an integral part of our business model. We do not want the actions of a few to spoil the experience of our customer base. By this, I mean that we don't want someone who is downloading 200GB of P2P traffic to directly impact the web browsing and email receiving for a number of our customers. As such, we have measures in place to ensure that time sensitive traffic, like web browsing, online gaming, VoIP and so on is given a higher priority than P2P traffic. Having said that, it doesn't mean that P2P speeds will be dire. I regularly get speeds in excess of 200-300KB/s when downloading files. Why not have a look at our Community Site and see how many speed compliants you can find because of traffic management. I read every single post on that site and can happily say that you'll be well pushed to find many, if any at all.

As Mark has said, if you do have any questions or concerns, then by all means shout up. I'm very confident that if you were to ever return to PlusNet, you would find it to be an extremely different ISP to that which you rermember.

The evidence is/was on your forums. You can cover it up and bs all you want, but I saw it with my own eyes. I know you are only doing your job though by covering it all up so I wont hold it against you.

Also people look at the adsl guide forums, BEFORE choosing ANY isp. Be espeshally vigelent with plusnet.

I know you are only doing your job though by covering it all up

Thats the point DeathAxe. It is not our job to cover things up and we will never do that. If you have gotten the impression that we threatened any of our users then I'd love you to point me in that direction.

We pride ourselves on the open and honest approach which we take in our communications with our customers and the wider internet community. Rather than cover something up, which may cause us pain, we will always discuss it, in public and accept whatever criticism is thrown our way. That is how we learn and improve. Feedback is vital to how we operate and that means all feedback, good and bad. We dont shy away from it and never will.

If you experienced something other than that then I really want to know about it and address it. If you can remember the thread (s)or roughly when you believe this to have happened let me know and I promise to fully examine what you feel occurred and address it with you.