Did anyone go to Westways School?

Anyone remember Miss. Beaumont? She was a right laugh and my first crush I think.....Or was that Mrs. Davies from the primary?...

Miss Beaumont had blonde hair. I think I remember the french teacher...didn't she change her name because she married? I think I recall her having black/dark hair and wearing a lot of make up...could be wrong though.

Hands off Miss Beaumont, she's mine! I was in her first class when she joined, but I think she only stayed for about 3 years. She was gorgeous and probably early 20s (I was only 9 though), strange to think that she must be around 50 by now.

The French teacher (she taught it, she wasn't actually French) was originally Miss Glews and then she changed to Mrs Revitt. To this day I still remember that she often seemed to be smuggling peanuts down the front of her jumper, unless it was something else :blush:

I was also in Mr Holden, Mrs Brown and Mrs Marshall's classes. In the infants my first teacher was Miss Hebblethwaite, who was still there literally years later and still remembered my name, Mrs Bates and Mrs Cook I think.

I went to Westways in 1979-Mr Coldwells class (3rd year)

Followed by Mr Hughes class in the 4th year. He left at Xmas to become head at Hillsboro, Parkside Road (I think) and that is when Kevan Ellison came to the school.

I remember seeing his death in the paper, he was a good teacher, RIP.

I also remember Mrs Marshall who had a mixed class and taught yrs 3/4 and took us for music-her favourite song for us to sing was 'Amazing Grace'

Miss Farrar taught the other year 3 class and Mr Davenport the other year 4 class.

Mr Hides was head teacher whilst I was at the school.

I remember Miss Tindall trying to teach us sex education in yr 4-hilarious!!

I remember Miss Ambler used to teach craft and home economics.

I used to live on Northfield Road and remember many school friends tho have little if any contact now.

Sorry, just remembered the teacher who taught us French was Mrs Lomas.

Mr Ellison died from a very aggressive brain tumour. A very moving funeral service was held at St.Thomas's Church and there were many pupils there, many of whom had moved to secondary schools who came to say their fond farewells to a popular and much respected teacher.

did mr elison teach at lydgate middle school be for going to westways

mumsy the french teacher was mrs LomaX wasn't she? i was in all the same classes as you and i think i've sussed who you are, is it Nic? if it is welcome and well done for joining S F

wots an s/x between friends-u got me by the way, was gonna msg u on fb with my name!!!

mumsy!!!

I remember Miss Green as she had me in her office to teach how to pronounce "th" instead of using "f". She also knew how to use the cane. The other teachers I remember were Miss Savage, & Miss Ayres. I stared at Western Rd in 1934. I was one of the unfortunates who had to have teeth out at the dreaded dentists.

http://www.westways.ik.org/

Can't see any reference to when Western Road became Westways School? Still not forgotten Mrs Minshen (?) and Kevan Ellison who gave so much to the school but tragically died so early.

I went to Westways 1968 to 1974/5 We had to stay on an extra year as there was some sort of education reorganisation (we started at King Teds in year 2 (weird)). Must have been 1974 as it was my last year at the school (& then it wasn't). Anyway this was also the year that the school changed name from Western Road to Westway's, (Westway,s sounded more modern?) I was in Mr Hitchmond's class & was in ladybower house (Redmires, Strines & Derwent were the others)

So many memories.

Edited by don240

I went to Westways 1968 to 1974/5 We had to stay on an extra year as there was some sort of education reorganisation (we started at King Teds in year 2 (weird)). Must have been 1974 as it was my last year at the school (& then it wasn't). Anyway this was also the year that the school changed name from Western Road to Westway's, (Westway,s sounded more modern?) I was in Mr Hitchmond's class & was in ladybower house (Redmires, Derwent & Strines were the others)

So many memories.

Nice use of colour - however, it's good but it's not quite right! Strines was yellow, and Derwent was green.

I was a Redmires lad myself, which was a bit galling for a dyed in the wool Wednesdayite.

I went to Westways 1968 to 1974/5 We had to stay on an extra year as there was some sort of education reorganisation (we started at King Teds in year 2 (weird)). Must have been 1974 as it was my last year at the school (& then it wasn't). Anyway this was also the year that the school changed name from Western Road to Westway's, (Westway,s sounded more modern?) I was in Mr Hitchmond's class & was in ladybower house (Redmires, Derwent & Strines were the others)

So many memories.

I must have been there the same time as you, and I was in Ladybower :thumbsup:

can't remember mr Hitchmond though :huh:

Last post amended for colour

Anybody remember going to Mayfield Valley outwood bound's centre in 1973?

COYRAWW

I was at Westways between 1971 and 1977...happy days lol.

Lived up Crookes nr Post Office.

Loved Mr Hughes, he moved to Hillsborough Junior I believe, sadly not with us nowadays.

Caz x:hihi: