Anybody a structural engineer?

Hi

A friend is having some work done on a house and I have noticed something that I think is odd. The old timber windows have been replaced with new modern wood windows at some point in the past and I can't see any sign of there being a lintel above them. The windows are on the ground floor of a 1900's terraced brick property. Would it be legitimate to have put in a lintel supporting the inner wall and then expecting the outer wall to be supported by the window frame, although I'm not saying that has been done as I don't want to start ripping plaster off the walls inside . I'm also assuming that if the existing windows are to be replaced with upvc ones then installing the correct lintel becomes rather important.

Hi.

We renovated an 1890's terrace a couple of years ago. All windows had to be replaced. On removing old windows we found that the original inner leaf lintels were of timber (and badly rotted) and so we replaced them with concrete lintels. The outer leaf was indeed supported by the frame.

Most modern upvc frames have additional steel support across the head of the frame so they should support the outer leaf.