Woodside lane in the 50s

Originally posted by pitsmoorlad

Cycleracer, I can't remember anything or anyone that far down. It must have been lower down than the school and that was a different world. I only went through there when I was being taken to my Gran's who lived at Shalesmoor.

Different world ? in which way.

I think it was close to the tunnel at the wheatsheaf pub.

Wow your memory's good cos we were moved in about 58 / 59.

BTW Mum says do you remember "Deaf and Dumb" Annie ? Apologies to the PC brigade but that's how she was known back then. She was speech and hearing impaired yet could "gossip" with the rest for ages. Her husband was also speech / hearing impaired, yet their daughter had no problems.

Yep I do rememberthe speach / hearing impared family and the daughter without the problem but just don´t remember the names I think they lived on the front of the lane itself I am sure they didn´t live in the court although there was a guy who had a problem with one leg shorter then the other he had one of tose high soled shoes I am sure he lived in court 25 right at the top end in the house facing down

If you look on the site http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=7492 I am convinced the woman pushing the pram is my mother and the lad walking is my older brother maybe BTW mum may help

The memory is good on long term but can never remember what happened yesterday ( all that Sangria)

by the way we left in 59 as well but went back to pitsmoor , over verdon steet way in 64 when they built the new massonettes

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Different world ? in which way.

I think it was close to the tunnel at the wheatsheaf pub.

If you were that far down cycleracer you must remember the old scrap cars being down there

Originally posted by GJ2004

If you were that far down cycleracer you must remember the old scrap cars being down there

Trouble is I was'nt born until 59 so I do not remember any of it.

The info I have got came from my uncle who is the only living relative from that time who filled me in.

I was hoping you and Pitsmoor lad come give me more info on it.

I will keep looking at this thread with interest.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Trouble is I was'nt born until 59 so I do not remember any of it.

The info I have got came from my uncle who is the only living relative from that time who filled me in.

I was hoping you and Pitsmoor lad come give me more info on it.

I will keep looking at this thread with interest.

Sorry cycleracer I didn´t realize I thought you were one of us old codgers

Still you do have a lot of info and info and that is good but I thought you new about other areas in pitsmoor if so let us know I am very interested in everything about the area am thinking of puting up a thread o working mens clubs in the area what do you think ? or has it been done

Wow your memory's good cos we were moved in about 58 / 59.

BTW Mum says do you remember "Deaf and Dumb" Annie ? Apologies to the PC brigade but that's how she was known back then. She was speech and hearing impaired yet could "gossip" with the rest for ages. Her husband was also speech / hearing impaired, yet their daughter had no problems.

pitsmoor lad I have just spoken with my big bro ( the fountain of knowledge and memory of pitsmoor) he says the name I am looking for in court 27 is Wayne and stephen Biggin (excuse spelling ) he also tells me there was an orchard behind the yard also he remembers the name of Dexter as he recalls a Dexter being an electrician : The name of the people in court 25 I was thinking of ie the guy with short leg My brov says it was an artificial leg and the name was Mr Story also the man in the top house (he says ) was Mr Mallinson can your mum remember those

I can neither confirm nor deny your brother's name recollections.

However your mention of Working men's Clubs is interesting. The general topic has been raised before and both Cycleracer and myself went in the Loco and Pitsmoor WMC. Drove past the Pitsmoor yesterday and it's boarded up. Looks like its ready for demolishing. The Loco was flattened some time ago.

I can neither confirm nor deny your brother's name recollections.

However your mention of Working men's Clubs is interesting. The general topic has been raised before and both Cycleracer and myself went in the Loco and Pitsmoor WMC. Drove past the Pitsmoor yesterday and it's boarded up. Looks like its ready for demolishing. The Loco was flattened some time ago.

I knew the Pitsmoor wmc was boarded up , It was like that the last time I was in uk last year but i di´dn´t know the Loco was finished I thought that was still going. The pitsmoor was my club i knew many people there and my family was involved with the place for many years I still have some pics of past commitee members somewhere, some of them from it´s origins in marshall street although I don´t go back that far and don´t even know where marshall street is or was i just know thats where it started

I used to go in the Limes club on barnsley Rd but i know that was turned into some sort of nursing home a long while ago

How did the thread go about clubs before ? would it be worth starting again do you think ?

Originally posted by GJ2004

I knew the Pitsmoor wmc was boarded up , It was like that the last time I was in uk last year but i di´dn´t know the Loco was finished I thought that was still going. The pitsmoor was my club i knew many people there and my family was involved with the place for many years I still have some pics of past commitee members somewhere, some of them from it´s origins in marshall street although I don´t go back that far and don´t even know where marshall street is or was i just know thats where it started

I used to go in the Limes club on barnsley Rd but i know that was turned into some sort of nursing home a long while ago

How did the thread go about clubs before ? would it be worth starting again do you think ?

Its been a while about the clubs in Pitsmoor but many more members have joined up so i think it may warrant a new one.

Love to see some pics of the old clubs.

You say you use to be involved with the Pitsmoor, in which way and what era.

I remember that the Pitsmoor Club wouldn't allow females in on their own. So if there was a good band on,(O'Haras Playboys, Bitter Suite, etc) there used to be a queue of girls at the door asking to be taken in. Also they couldn't get served at the bar so they had to get a fella to get their drinks as well. Sometimes the girl became your date for the night, more often she didn't.

As a side issue, John O'Hara's still doing the clubs, saw a poster advertising him at the La Plata the other day.

Yes thats right, females only managed to get served in the 70s.

Could you imagine women putting up with that these days.

John O Hara does still play the circuit but on a very minor scale to what he had.

I have seen him in the local pub on numerous occations and is a shadow of his former self.

He is more a karioke ( never can spell that) singer now.

He still has a following, mainly the old timers from the clubs, in my case Pitsmoor club and knows everyone by name.

I hear his demise was his own doing being a very hard guy to work with and treat his musicians harshly.