Woodside lane in the 50s

Gouldings all still around living in Sheffield,not forgetting Derek Hall

Birley Street:top yard big house Oldens next yard short brothers Eric Sizer,sister Audrey one other brother,Alan Bell,Dennis Betts and brothers all further down Birley Street Frank Burgiss grocerers shop in woodside lane just below Rugby Street Albert and Brian pilkington+sisters Cawthorn brothers on grove Street Kelsey,s Albert ,peter ,Bill,joe Brown ,Greaves,

Was that the same Kelsey's (father Bill) that had the 'Toll Gate' pub ?

---------- Post added 02-08-2016 at 14:37 ----------

Mallinson and Gillot both died some years back.

Is this the same Mallinson's (moved To Southey Green from Woodside Lane) children ; Roy, Ronnie. Jean (Manterfield) and Pat (Smith) ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

I was born on Fowler street in 1951 lived on the corner of Grove Street and my Grandmother used own the hardware shop

---------- Post added 09-12-2017 at 11:55 ----------

I remember the Broomheads on Fowler St, Eric, and his two sisters. Would the Spencers have a son called Les? And the Halls, Ernest, Dennis and Frank. Do you remember Jack Best? All on Fowler. And little Hayward Road, Gouldings, Dereck, George, Tommy and little Arthur. Denis Swift, Denis Bullivant, Denis Wade. On Woodside Lane itself, the Taylors, Martins, Parkers, Revels. Trying to remember the names of the Broomhead sisters, one was called Minnie but I can't remember the other.

What about Birley Street, seems to be the forgotten thouroughfare, remember Mrs Johnson, massive woman.

Les Spencer was my younger brother sadly he passed away 1991 aged 37

---------- Post added 09-12-2017 at 11:58 ----------

hi does any body remember going to the play centre at woodside school after school i think it was about 6 till 8 or 9

Yes i can just remember going there

---------- Post added 09-12-2017 at 12:03 ----------

Its interesting when old Pitsmoor-ians come on here.

Now I was born on Fowler Street and lived on Grove Street at number 5.

I was born in 1959 so remember very little if nothing about the area but someone told me that the Pitsmoor road of today is where Fowler Street was.

I know Pye Bank Rd used to be Pitsmoor Rd.

Perhaps you can tell me more about the area as it was.

I have a photo of a corner shop on Grove Street and a few old ones but very little to go on.

We moved out in 1961 and moved to Woodseats before moving back to the newly built Andover Drive in 1963.

My grandmother owned a shop on the corner of grove street and fowler street

Hi I lived in Birley street all through the fifties.Went to Woodside infant school and then to the Junior.Used to get a threpenny bit to spend in Mr's Savages shop at lunchtime.Happy Days.Any one out there any more info on Birley street.

I was born on Woodside Lane in 1953, and we left in 1958 during the slum clearance and went to Sheffield lane top. We moved to Foremark Rd and are the Hawnt family. I made friends with the Rowberry's , mainly Alan and barry but remember the other 3 lads Johnny, Peter and Christopher. Any of you guys reading this or anyone who knew us please get in touch .

Pitsmoorlad you must be stephen or ian as I recall,I lived at number 2 in 27 court, John Barnsley we moved to Gleadless valley in 1957 in the clearances, Jack and Elsie Dexter moved to Greenhill with their son and daughter,Carol and Raymond.

Raymond died in 1964 of heart problems.

I worked at the council depot on Woodside Lane in the late 70s

1 hour ago, will.i.ams said:

I worked at the council depot on Woodside Lane in the late 70s

I worked there too (late 60s), it was actually on Rutland Street with Rutland Road at one end and Woodside Lane at the other.

What is your name I may know you I worked for Ronnie Monks

5 hours ago, will.i.ams said:

What is your name I may know you I worked for Ronnie Monks

His name was Ronnie Munks, his son, David  was a former Sheffield United player

Isn't that what I said apart from mentioning his son what did you do at Woodside Depot St Petre

6 hours ago, will.i.ams said:

Isn't that what I said apart from mentionindept,g his son what did you do at Woodside Depot St Petre

I worked for Arthur Cavill in the office next to Ronnies on the street sign dept, I left in 1970 just before they moved that dept. to Olive Grove.

I was at Woodside Depot in the late 70s I moved to Olive Grove in the early 80s