Woodside lane in the 50s

Just a long shot - my grandad James Nugent lived at 6 Birley Street in the 1800's and my great grandad George Mason ran the Locomotive Inn at 2 Fowler Street around the same time. I have no photos of these places so if anyone can help out I'd be most greatful.

Cheers

Darryl Nugent

hi if you lived at no 12 wasnt that at the bottom of woodside lane next to the girl that had a big christmas tree up every year do you remember any of the lads and lasses hope to here back

I knew the Olivers.They lived opposite the bottom of Wood fold.Next to the pub.

i was born on marshall st the sweet shop just up from the pub which was known as the"bottom" [guards rest] i moved aged about 3 my brother john was run over by the coal cart and almost died he was 8, the Roberts lived accross the road, walt, i think winnie young walt jimmy mick barbara vicky and marie, the lindleys lived next door, we too went to the locco even after we moved near brammall lane. my sister sheila could probably write a book about it. did you know that pete and jeff stringfellow lived at the top of marshall street, they went to school with my brother and sister/

i was born on marshall st the sweet shop just up from the pub which was known as the"bottom" [guards rest] i moved aged about 3 my brother john was run over by the coal cart and almost died he was 8, the Roberts lived accross the road, walt, i think winnie young walt jimmy mick barbara vicky and marie, the lindleys lived next door, we too went to the locco even after we moved near brammall lane. my sister sheila could probably write a book about it. did you know that pete and jeff stringfellow lived at the top of marshall street, they went to school with my brother and sister/

hi i was born in woodside lane i can remember a girl called janet lindley and the stringfellows just carnt place marshall street

hi pitsmoor lad in your blog you mention the mitchells on wodside lane how much do you remember im sure the mitchells were my wifes great grand parents were they george and rose hannah hi think rose was a bit srange ad use to throw bucket of water at kids there might eva have been my wifes gran there gladys any help will do thanks

Anyone know of Reg and Lily dodd,they had a son called Reg who will be about 68yrs old now,they lived on the lane inthe 50s-60s?

Hi Everyone

John Ledwood here. I lived at 168 up to I think 1960 when our house was the last to be demolished in the clearance.. I remember the Mitchells as they lived in our yard and we used to play together. My grandparents ran The Woodman at one time.

168 was near the top opposite a high wall which enclosed ground bordering on Woodfold. Happy memories of playing on the Wood (no trees) and fishing the 7 ponds of Roe Wood.

Hi leddy can u remember the names of the mitchells thanks,jim

believe one was John

Hi everyone,

I was telling my older sister (in her 70's) about this thread and she lived on Woodside Lane before I was born with my mother and her father and brother. Their name was McCormick and they lived next door to the in-laws (McCormicks also) They had a daughter Lucy who married Fred Hilton (another family who lived in that street. My sister has told me loads of stories about them growing up in that area -its so interesting. Does anyone remember them?

does anyone recall a family called McCarthy (poss Irish) 1920's - 1940's. Kids were Jimmy, Bernard and Frankie. Went to St. Catherines RC church and boys were altar servers. Father was possibly a school teacher. I have photo's of the family.

I live in Middlesbrough but in my schoolboy days in the 1950s i used to spend my holidays with my sister who lived in Woodside lane. i cant remember which number but it was close to Stanley tool works and next door to a newsagents. happy days