Woodside lane in the 50s

And the remnants of Bitter Suite are now a successful blues band. Not seen them but heard good reports.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Its been a while about the clubs in Pitsmoor but many more members have joined up so i think it may warrant a new one.

Love to see some pics of the old clubs.

You say you use to be involved with the Pitsmoor, in which way and what era.

Good idea to revive the thread I think

In my case cycleracer it would be easier to say what didn´t I have to do with pitsmoor wmc as far as I can remember back someone in my family had connections my era was from 1967 to early 80s my father had the membership no 1 my brother had no 53 i had no 55 I have pics some where of early people my fathers brother Albert, Johny Yellot, Jackie Malinson who as far as i am aware is still around his father was a well known pitsmoor commitee man the Hammmond family were also long term stalwarts as with Gillot family I know it may not be pc to publish name s on web sites but all these people as far as I am aware were well respected and did a lot of good work in keeping wmc's alive and I feel deserve a mention but not only these they are just a few that come to mind I am sure there are many others who deserve a mention

Originally posted by pitsmoorlad

I remember that the Pitsmoor Club wouldn't allow females in on their own. So if there was a good band on,(O'Haras Playboys, Bitter Suite, etc) there used to be a queue of girls at the door asking to be taken in. Also they couldn't get served at the bar so they had to get a fella to get their drinks as well. Sometimes the girl became your date for the night, more often she didn't.

As a side issue, John O'Hara's still doing the clubs, saw a poster advertising him at the La Plata the other day.

What about Johny Kalender do you remember him he is now in benidorm ( or was a couple of years ago) a club called east coast bar on the square mile

GL we are comeing to Mallorca in April, can we still get to see some of the old acts there.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

GL we are comeing to Mallorca in April, can we still get to see some of the old acts there.

I doubt it as many of the old club acts (well known ones ) seem to prefer Benidorm but having said that there are a lot of good british acts here may of them worked the clubs in the uk

where are you going to stay in Mallorca ? I may know it and give you some ideas of places to go (without being ripped off) or maybe you already know a lot of good places if you have been out here before. April is a good time to be here as the weather is just picking up nicely then

To gj2004

From the top of Woodside Lane, the 'Woodman' would be on your left, opposite Woodfold. The next feature was Fox's shop, on the right, about 75yds further on. Then came Brammers, greengrocers, on the left. Just further on was an old pub that had become a house, the Buccerie's lived there. Then the jennel that went down onto little Hayward Rd. Across the Lane, on the right, opposite the jennel, was Stanley Works, next door was Martin's newsagents, opposite the Mission Hall. Birley Street on the left, bombed buildings on the right, Rugby Street, on the right, opposite was Miss Garsons shop. Then you went way down, houses each side, until you reached the railway arch and I think it then became Harvest Lane. That's about all I can remember of Woodside Lane up to 1957.

Its interesting when old Pitsmoor-ians come on here.

Now I was born on Fowler Street and lived on Grove Street at number 5.

I was born in 1959 so remember very little if nothing about the area but someone told me that the Pitsmoor road of today is where Fowler Street was.

I know Pye Bank Rd used to be Pitsmoor Rd.

Perhaps you can tell me more about the area as it was.

I have a photo of a corner shop on Grove Street and a few old ones but very little to go on.

We moved out in 1961 and moved to Woodseats before moving back to the newly built Andover Drive in 1963.

my mum lived at no 1 little grove street from 1950's,they were broomheads ,the corner shop was elliots and across on corner of big grove street was a paper shop

Pitsmoor lad so you remember Grove Street and any of the residents on there during the 50s.

my mum lived at no 1 grove st in 50's she remembers binghams,stokes,bookers,childs,reynolds,her maiden name was broomhead.

the lad running up and down the lane always had a "steering wheel" and if memory serves was called "Plummer" and he lived in the yard just above Rugby Street. We lived about ten houses below the Woodman pub. I lived in the lane from around 1950 till we were moved to Parkhill, Oh the luxury of inside plumbing and no tin bath.

My father lived in Woodside lane opposite the top of Rugby St. in my Grandparents house, My aunt lived across the lane in the yard overlooking Woodside infants school. Quite alot of my family lived in the area, which was a regular occurance in those days

Mallinson and Gillot both died some years back.

my aunt and uncle lived on woodside lane there name was thorpe i also had relations on verdon street when they pulled the houses down they all moved on to parsons cross.i can remember when i was little taking a tram down to the wicker then climbing over the bullrocks as a shortcut to get to verdon street

Anyone know the whereabouts of the Buccieri family? Sonny or Raff, Christina - all possibly dead now but what about their families. I am researching my family tree. I'm a Franchetti descendant from Woodside Lane in the early 1900's.