Manor pictures

Manaman mentioned the joy-stick lollies my favorite. At the top of the road was the Carlton cinema and at the side near the entrance to the pit there was a sweet shop that sold these lollies....

Can't remember how much they cost, but can remember how nice they tasted , and this is the first time I've heard them mentioned..Manaman , where they just a local thing...?

Hi grinder,

I think they used to cost 2p for a full stick, and a 1p for half a stick. The triangular thin cardboard tube the lolly was in was marked at the centre so that the selling shops could cut them in half, and sell half lollies if they wanted to.

To be able to lick or bite a piece off the lolly, the bottom of the tube had to be squeezed in order to push the lolly above the top level of the tube. It was then advisable to fold up the bottom end of the tube to stop the lolly and any melted lolly coming out of the bottom of the tube. This only worked for a time before the non-waterproof tube would go all soggy and hands become wet and sticky.

They were local, being made by Adsetts at their shop next to Owens Chemists at Manor Top.

Regards m.

I remember very well going to the manor rex & carlton..back in the fourtys

we had to ask some adult to take us in .

Done that a few times roy, Funny I would never have let my kids do that but it was quite common then....

Hi manorman.

Thanks for that, boy do you bring back a few memories,I never knew where they came from but I know where a lot of them went, think I was addicted...

does anyone remember at the a end of the war free ice cream from a local Manor shop Abbots i think.kids came from running from far and wide.

hazal..

We're round about the same age, did you go to the old Arbourthorne north school....

If you remember Alger Drive and the crescent were like two fingers sticking down into the fields, about five prefabs down either side a small Island at the bottom with I think about another five prefabs around it..

Last time I looked the road was still there but of course the prefabs are gone now a lot being blown down or badly damaged in the big gale we had,now it's different houses different lay out...

When we moved in in 1946 they were supposed to be a sort of temporary housing with a life span of 10 yrs........yer sure.

But it meant when they cleared the main roads it was piled up at the top of ours it was like living behind the Berlin wall.....

hi Grinder

That baby brother I talked about in the bad winter of 47 , is at this moment undergoing a triple heart bypass in NGH so I pleased to take my mind off the present and remember the past.

So you moved there in time for the snow then must have been quite a shock because winters were always worse near Manor top.

I was born in Arbourthorne Rd in 1936 and only went to Arbourthorne Central for a year or so while St Vincents recovered from the bomb blast My Mom sent us back to the school where she had been to be taught by the nuns.

Think we were the only kids on the estate with the convent uniform and we used to take a lot of stick.

I to can remember standing outside the Carlton and asking people to take us in -- difficult to believe now but luckily we came to no harm. Occasionally a more responsible adult who had taken us in made us sit beside them instead of running off when we got inside. I was always a bit wary of them but they were only doing what our parents should have done and supervised us.

I think you are a few years younger than me so as I played around Arbourthorne Rd and the fishing pond you were perhaps were nearer Eastern Ave or Northern Ave can never remember which was which.

My Brother John was born around 1940-41 you may have known him -- we moved in about 1950

hazel

Hi Hazel.

Sorry to hear about your brother, hope every thing works out...

Me.

I was born in 1939 at Jessops, No brothers or sisters..

Dad was on reserve, so called back at the outbreak of war and taken prisoner in France..

Didn't see him till 1945, mom worked at English steels and we lived in a flat down the cliff,

We were offered a prefab in 46 and took it.

Mum wasn't pleased she wanted a real house but it was better than the flat ,we stayed there for six years...

All the kids I remember were from School or off our road, we were a tight bunch....

Looking back it seemed I did most of my playing on the fields, in Norfolk Park,

or Cherry woods ...

Great place for fresh air....Ha,Ha