Manor pictures

anyone out there remember saturday afternoon matinee's at the manor pictures plus do you remember the rex pictures

i spent many hours in the rex.........i saw jaws 26 times and grease about the same...we used to chip in the entrance fee for one person then he'd go and open the fire exists for the rest of us.....:D

It must have been before my time. Where were the Manor pictures?.

is it now sommerfield?

My earliest memories are of the Gateway. My mum would always say "C'mon were goin tu top o manor". I hated that walk up City rd.

I used to go to Manor Pictures and the Rex regually. I lived at Intake.

When young we would go twice a wk There used to be different pictures on on thursdays-- saturday. There was usually a small film on as well as the bigger one and Tom & Jerry, or a DIY man called ?Pete Smith. The films ran continuously so u could go in early and see everything round twice. I can remember peying 10d about 4 p

Never went to the manor matinees tho My dad thought they were a bit rough (were they).?

Took my hotwater bottle to the Manor pictures once, it was freezing.

hazel

remember it well,irish usherette,she would bash your head in with her rubber torch if you did any thing she considered wrong,manager always wore a dickie bow,if you went down underneath there was the snooker hall, looking up you could see up the lasses skirts as they qued up waiting to go in to the pictures because some of the small glass windows were missing,we,d poke a snooker cue up sometimes and listen to the arguments that started when the girl accused the bloke behind her of lifting her skirt

I've bin to the Manortop pics when I was a kid.

Manager of the Manor snooker hall was called Tom. Only a little guy, but he would chase you out if he thought you wasn't 16. The lady who used to work in the cinema kiosk issuing the tickets used to place me & my mate at the side of any young ladies who she thought was 'nice'. As a ticket used to reserve your seat, she used to hang on to them until we had finished playing snooker.

Only went to Manor pictures a few times but used to go a hell of a lot to the snooker hall in the cellar.

Great days, lucky if you got a straight cue, table without cellotape or balls that weren't chipped.

Hazel

I remember you and your hot water bottle --B B was the name of the boyfriend.

The Manor Top

used to be a name to be conjured with - - The Elm Tree pub - - The Cinema, and the snooker hall below.

Tom the manager, ---You were honored if you could use the first table in front of the office!

The cafe by the side - - two ladies - - Margerate & Beatie I think - - original style coffee bar to me. Think Vimto or frothy coffee. I think it later turned into the clinic (Maternity that is)

The Saturday rush! The tanner special - - watch the manager come on to open the show - - bow tie et al - - flash gordon - hopolong cassidy - Then dash out to run around on "Pit Hill" - now the fire station.

I've slid down that on 'alf an anderson shelter and nearly made it across the pit pond at the bottom - - had to swim to shore! Wonder we didn't catch typhoid. Happy Days.