Sheffield's Gay Zone

In reply I agree that gay society has changed and many people want to mix their night out between straight and gay bars but it is a fact that you are more at "risk" in the city centre than you are in Attercliffe, even back in 1980's, attacks often happened outside The Cossack but never outside any of the Attercliffe Bars.

I am now in my 40's but when I was 17, 18 etc I went down Attercliffe walking between the bars and the club often wearing high heels and painted finger nails and I NEVER was attacked and some of the streets between the bars were dark and hidden away !! I can also confirm that you never had to bang on the door or have a secret code to get in the bars or club, often ques of people would form to get in to the club but Gary or Terry would be on the door with the door open, aslo the bear gardens at The Albert, Cavallears and the roof top terrace at The Bulldog were always busy. Oh and South Yorkshire Police use to work with the bar owners very well and often people went to the straight bars such as The Charlton before going gay.

If your straight mates respect you enough they won't mind the occassional trip down the cliff. Some of my straight mates still talk about the best nights out in the gay pubs of the cliff, my mother and aunt went to see the stripper at The Albert, much to my embarressment. If it's run and organised right and dosn't rip people off I don't see why it won't work.

The simple fact is gays are changing now and have straight friends who are happy to go out with them so when in town go to mixture of str8 and gay bars. I know none of my friends would go into attercliffe for a drink so why should i?

The question is why do you need to go to a gay bar at all ?

Don't ask me that. I just want to be myself and i am infact gay.

In the words of Billie Piper "Because I Want To". :hihi:

What I mean is what are you going to the gay bar for, the decor, the music, the drinks, the interesting conversation, or just the change that you might get laid ?

Fair enough if you are going out to get laid, but unless that is the main reason you go out then you don't need to go to a gay bar.

I never experienced anyone shouting abuse from passing cars outside Planet / Bar-celona, unlike on Eyre Street.

What I mean is what are you going to the gay bar for, the decor, the music, the drinks, the interesting conversation, or just the change that you might get laid ?

Fair enough if you are going out to get laid, but unless that is the main reason you go out then you don't need to go to a gay bar.

I have a boyfriend thankyou! I go to gay bars to be myself, (yes i am myself in straight bars but in other words i let myself go more), dance how i like and generally be round the same people who i actually have something in common with.

I also go for the music as i find some music that Fuel played quite good.

I think you are being pretty unreasonable here Nick, you should know why gay people go to gay bars. It aint all about pulling.

In reply I agree that gay society has changed and many people want to mix their night out between straight and gay bars but it is a fact that you are more at "risk" in the city centre than you are in Attercliffe, even back in 1980's, attacks often happened outside The Cossack but never outside any of the Attercliffe Bars.

I am now in my 40's but when I was 17, 18 etc I went down Attercliffe walking between the bars and the club often wearing high heels and painted finger nails and I NEVER was attacked and some of the streets between the bars were dark and hidden away !! I can also confirm that you never had to bang on the door or have a secret code to get in the bars or club, often ques of people would form to get in to the club but Gary or Terry would be on the door with the door open, aslo the bear gardens at The Albert, Cavallears and the roof top terrace at The Bulldog were always busy. Oh and South Yorkshire Police use to work with the bar owners very well and often people went to the straight bars such as The Charlton before going gay.

If your straight mates respect you enough they won't mind the occassional trip down the cliff. Some of my straight mates still talk about the best nights out in the gay pubs of the cliff, my mother and aunt went to see the stripper at The Albert, much to my embarressment. If it's run and organised right and dosn't rip people off I don't see why it won't work.

I see what you mean. I'm willing to give these places a chance. I just feel a bit uneasy to start with going down to Attercliffe. Everyone I've spoken to on Facebook etc about this have thought it's a terrible idea to open bars and clubs down there. It's just the general opinion I've got. I just wish that people who were willing to open bars/clubs actually did research into their market rather than just sending them a message and because it's gay everyone will go.

I think you are being pretty unreasonable here Nick, you should know why gay people go to gay bars. It aint all about pulling.

Of course it is.

Not in my book.

Perhaps not, but almost all of the gay couples I know stopped going on the "scene" once they met someone.

Perhaps not, but almost all of the gay couples I know stopped going on the "scene" once they met someone.

Not sure that's true for everybody. In my case i do go out on the gay scene but not as much as i did when i was single. Even then i wasn't out to pull. I just enjoyed the music on a Saturday night at Fuel. If you got a bit of attention or pulled it was a bonus! But as i say it wasn't purely the reason i went out.