Your Views on Stocksbridge

I remember Stocksbridge from the film Deliverance, I think the boy with the banjo still lives near the old fire station :hihi:

hahaha, sorry Spencer lad, you're wasting your time looking for the Tory vote in Stocksbridge. It'll never happen purely down to the fact a Tory Government screwed the majority people who lived there back in the 80's.

As for Stockers been a dump, i'd rather live in Stocksbridge than some chav dumping ground like, Parson Cross, Fir Vale, Manor, Pitsmoor, Darnall, Attercliffe, Shiregreen, Shirecliffe...the list goes on.

Get a grip with the inbred jokes, better to be an inbred than a gangster wanna be with your mums name tattoo'd on your shoulder.

I worked at Corus for a year and the recurring topical discussion was drinking and fighting is there anything else to do in the valley, it was also uncanny how everybody knew everybody or how they were all interrelated, make your own mind up.

Buzz off this is a local thread for local people!

Seriously, the heritage jokes are unfair. I like this thread as it is looking at some serious issues so I am resisting getting into a slanging match with the people calling us inbreeds.

As for the Conservative vote in stocksbridge, I agree that people have long memories.

However, no other party has been doing much in Stocksbridge lately. I know the Greens did a bit of campaigning about the centre, but apart from that politicians of any colour are a rarity in this area.

right i will tell u......

Im 18 and alrewady have left stocksbridge i cud not stand the place and every chance i got to leave even for a few hours i would.

Stocksbridge is going down becuase there is nothing to do so the teenagers get in to drink and drugs and have nothing better to do than to do petty things like messing with peoples cars, vandalism and crime. Then there's the adults of Stocksbridge, dont get me worng some of them are lovely but the only thing thayts accpetable to do in stocksbridge is drink at the several pubd that are not needed in a smal place like that. No one aspires to anyhitng more and this is becuase there is nothing to do and no approach or push in the community to do better because they are left out.

Buses aswell, what all of 2 that go to town, 1 that goes to meadowhall, the council is just making it harder for people to aspire to anything! And there is always bloddy some road works going on somewhere which causes problems.

I was not born in Stocksbridge but moved there when i was a child and all i remember doing as a child was nothing just walking around Stocksbridge with a big group.

Also the bus routes and the inaccessablilty of Stocksbridge makes it harder to get jobs i have had many jobs turned down becuase they have said that there is not good transport in to town and that the buses are unreliable!

I think what needs to be done is the encouragement to do better and more activites and get rid of one or two of the pubs because lets face it with the size of the village and community why do we need 9 pubs! if you put more entertianment and money into encouraging people to do better in the community then more jobs will be made and not just for adults something for the kids too, because if you get them interested in doing better early then its a much better start for them in life and a better quality of living overall is a better quality of life for the future.

The place is just a down fall any ways, its not a happy place becuase on one is bothered about making 8it any better and this attitude needs to change, you need to inform people of the benifits of change and this way they will help make the change by changing their attitudes and you need to get in to schools as its better to target and change the attitudes of the next generation and with this can change the attitudes of the older generations.

Basically: BETTER PUBLIC TRNASPORT, MORE ENTERTIANMENT WHICH INTURN CREATES MORE JOBS (CINEMA SUCH AS PENISTONES WOULD BE IDEAL)AND MUCH MORE, CREATIVE THINGS TO DO AND HELP SHOW PEOPLE CREATIVENESS, ENCOURAGEMENT OF BETTER THINGS (SHJOWING PEOPLE THEY CAN IMRPOVE AND BETTER THEMSELVES), BRIGHTEN UP STOCKSBRIDGE AS A WHOLE (MAKES THE MIND MORE STIMULATED AND A HAPPIER PLACE TO LIVE). GET KIDS ACTIVE AND INVOLVED ALSO SHOW KIDS AT AN EALRY AGE THE BAD EFFECTS OF DRUGS AND ALCHOL. GET RID OF A FEW PUBS. EVALUATE SHOPS TOO, THERE ARE TOO MANY TYPES OF SHOPS SUCH AS LOADS OF HAIR DRESSERS ETC NEED TO HAVE MORE VARIETY POSSIBLY MORE CLOTHES SHOPS OR EVEN A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE WITH CREATIVE TALENT CAN SELL THEIR THINGS SUCH AS CLOTHES OR JEWELLERY. LOOK AT THE STATE OF CERTAIN PARTS OF STOCKSBRIDGE/DEEPCAR AND ADDRESS ISSUES WHY ITS BETTER TO ADDRESS THE CAUSE THEN FIND A SOLUTION.

Spencer,

I’ve lived in Stocksbridge and Deepcar for the past 20 years and I have to say I don’t recognise the Stocksbridge I know from the descriptions on here. Firstly, ignore the ‘inbred’ jokes from Sheffielders – everyone needs someone to look down on and Sheffielders think Stocksbridge is an easy target. Unlike most parts of Sheffield, still has a strong sense of community – there are a great many church and community groups in existence. The houses are a wide mix of private and council housing and it’s mostly comprised of what I would call ‘respectable’ working class (ie. working) commuting to Sheffield or Barnsley – not many work in the steelworks these days.. That’s not to say there aren’t bad apples – there have been many complaints locally about the council moving problem families or young kids (from Sheffield) into council flats. And there are certainly streets where I personally wouldn’t want to live. But compared to most areas of Sheffield – even some of the supposedly ‘up market’ areas there is little real trouble and little of the outward signs of social degradation that you see in some areas. I’ve never been anywhere in Stocksbridge and not felt safe (except maybe in the old Coach and Horses – now a Chinese restaurant).

The schools are good – if the performance table are to be trusted and there is little truancy – although this may be because there’s nowhere to bunk off to. There’s also a strong church-going community. We’re lucky to have a fine and very popular sports centre – a little run down it’s true – but still more than some places have. The shops are generally not so good – the Co-op is the only major supermarket and it’s expensive and offers a poor range and poor service. Hopefully, with the planned developments it will get a rival. However some of the smaller businesses (butchers, grocers, deli etc) are very good and there is currently some major investment planned in the main shopping area. 300 new houses also planned which will bring in some money but also obviously have a major impact on schools, doctors and dentists. The town’s biggest advantage is that is bordered by glorious countryside – walk 10 minutes up the hill and you can see some of the most beautiful views in Yorkshire.

On the political side, like some others have said, you’ll have your work cut out to get elected – perhaps you’ll have to get out there and show your face – it’s more than the others ever do.

for some reason people seem to call it CLANKTOWN dont know why

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

its called clanktown becuase of the stell works at night and during the day when the steel works was in full form you use to be able to hear the clanging of steel when it was dropped

Hi Spencer

I'm free most of this week if you want a tour of our wonderful town.

I am grateful to Sir Nigel, curvyxkitten, Blusky, Boston, Kipling and Johanson,for posting both balanced and fair minded views on the issues facing the residents of Stocksbridge. Your insight into the concerns in this area are gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

In passing, I will be getting out and knocking on doors to hear the issues facing local people in Stocksbridge in person.

Spencer P. - Conservative Propsective Parliamentary Candidate for Penistone and Stocksbridge.

Stocksbridge. Just far enough away from Sheffield and a bit too close to Barnsley for it's own good:hihi:

I better shut up now cos I'm up there Saturday night:hihi:

Buzz off this is a local thread for local people!

How local is local I live 9 miles away and as I have said I have worked there, what an eye opener that was, talk about the land that time forgot.

:D