Sign in to follow this  

7 Hot air balloons over Sheffield

I read in The Star last week that some guy in Dronfield reported a balloon on fire and a burning object falling from it, possibly the pilot. Anyone else heard anything more about that?

It was reported just after 11pm, coincidently around the time the pubs kick out, so he may have been somewhat 'over-refreshed'. :)

probably me - making hot air ballons from dry cleaner bags and powered by birthday cake candles.

although I am miles from dronfield and was not there at the time (whenever it was)

Aerostat - the most majestic form of air travel.

The star reported something about 4-5 years ago about UFOs flying over Sheffield. Funny how it was always Monday edition reporting a Saturday night sighting - probably some school kid having fun on a Saturday evening. In the end I believe it was reported that they were bin bag powered by some sort of flame causing it to rise to the sky. I don't know how the flame thing is held together but I suspect it can easily burn away from its attachment causing part or all of the flame part to fall to the ground. This sort of thing is well documented on this internet as false UFO sightings.

Jon may have more information on this.

We call them "Prank Balloons" they are easily constructed using a small tray,such as a sardine tin then its filled with paraffin or other flammable liquid a birthday candle propped-up.

Struts are made from drinking straws or balsa wood and taped to the try and to a plastic bag or bin liner...when the paraffin or candle or candles are lit, hot air fills the bag and causes it to rise into the air.

The reflection of the flames on the inside of the bag can be seen from a great distance and can give the impression of a glowing sphere or disc..

hope this helps:)

Hi -

there are a lot of hot air balloons over Chesterfield regularly - I think they set off near Stonedge One Sunday morning 7 came over here and the noise of the flames woke us up

What I would like to know is - what happens if you're in one of these and you need the toilet :wave:

hallo:blush: got it wrong - I was trying to submit a reply to someone further down - duh!

Originally posted by Utopia

hallo:blush: got it wrong - I was trying to submit a reply to someone further down - duh!

It's okay. I fixed it for you. :)

Did anyone spot these?

Currently floating over Intake heading toward Crystal Peaks

Any Update? :suspect: