Tesco Planning Application -Walkley/Crookesmoor

Does that mean they'll have bought up a patch of that strip of road to do it then?

Does that mean they'll have bought up a patch of that strip of road to do it then?

No, the council will be using planning to get money for road improvements from Tesco. In a town not far from here Tesco were refused planning twice, eventually they offered to resite and build a new school, a library and fund a new road layout, guess what new but only very slightly changed plans were passed.

If morrisons were refused to purchase the old safeway site at the end of eccy road because it was too close to hillsborough then I can see no earthly reason why tesco should have yet another store and one within half a mile of an existing one. We don't need any more tesco stores in this area, we need more variety not less and we certainly don't need it in a place where the traffic/parking is already difficult.

No, the council will be using planning to get money for road improvements from Tesco. In a town not far from here Tesco were refused planning twice, eventually they offered to resite and build a new school, a library and fund a new road layout, guess what new but only very slightly changed plans were passed.
Let's see if Sheffield enjoys bribery as this not too far town?

If morrisons were refused to purchase the old safeway site at the end of eccy road because it was too close to hillsborough then I can see no earthly reason why tesco should have yet another store and one within half a mile of an existing one. We don't need any more tesco stores in this area, we need more variety not less and we certainly don't need it in a place where the traffic/parking is already difficult.

The reason is that Supermarkets and Convenience stores are counted as separate businesses, even if operated by the same company and there only needs to be a 10 minute walk between convenience stores operated by the same company.

So watch out, it wont be long before there is Tesco express on every corner.

The reason is that Supermarkets and Convenience stores are counted as separate businesses, even if operated by the same company and there only needs to be a 10 minute walk between convenience stores operated by the same company.

So watch out, it wont be long before there is Tesco express on every corner.

A truly chilling thought.

I think with me tho, when I'm there it would only be competing with Commonside news and possibly the Co op. I doubt I'd be going all the way up to Netto or all the way down to the big Tescos. Surely must be the same for anyone else round there going on foot.

Hooray for sheffield council :clap:

do we really have a choice? Are you really shopping at Tesco because you want to or because you have brainwashed by their adverts.

Fabulous that such a ridiculous scheme has been refused.

I would object to such a scheme, whether it was planned by Tesco or a local independent shop. It's not right for that plot and would add to the danger of an already dangerous way junction and my opinion will remain the same as long as plans don't include sufficient off-street parking and safe entry and exit points to the street and the junction.

I don't believe that the plot is large enough to provide a mini-market and parking of any type. If that plot is going to be used then it needs to be for something much smaller, with space for a small car park. The petrol station that was on the site was really very small by comparison to most petrol stations these days and any new plans do need to reflect the lack of space.

Pleased to see that the proposal has been rejected by the council again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/8139521.stm

It's displeasing since they've allowed other Tescos to be opened elsewhere in Sheffield despite the same reasons and objections being made.

The council are nothing but two faced.