Tesco Planning Application -Walkley/Crookesmoor

Yep, I'll be complaining again. The last application had 4 car parking spaces + 1 disabled space, which wouldn't be enough. This one has done away with the spaces altogether, stating that there is more than enough parking on local roads!!!

I live just a few doors up, and I struggle to park my car every evening. Especially now the ever-popular Rajput restaurant also brings in a few customers travelling by car!

If we switched to residents parking, I don't think it would be a problem.

So ... did you complain when Rajput planned to open a restaurant, and people would be coming in cars,(shock horror) did you complain when Nisa supermarket down the road put planning permission in, or is it just because it is Tesco that you are complaining?

Considering it was rejected last time, and, as far as I know, nothing in the area has changed, how come they're allowed to re-apply so soon?

I don't think there is anything to stop someone applying as many times as they like.

So ... did you complain when Rajput planned to open a restaurant, and people would be coming in cars,(shock horror) did you complain when Nisa supermarket down the road put planning permission in, or is it just because it is Tesco that you are complaining?

Rajput did not submit a planning application as there was already a restaurant there under A3 usage. Just a new business.

But take your point.

Considering it was rejected last time, and, as far as I know, nothing in the area has changed, how come they're allowed to re-apply so soon?

Anybody can submit as many planning applications as frequently as they can afford. They can submit an identical application one second after the planning meeting if they so wish.

Can I repeat what I said last time this came up. Any objections must, by law, be valid planning objections.

Competition is not a planning consideration. "Tesco will put me out of business" is not a planning consideration

Ethics or morals are not planning considerations. "Tesco sell guns and cigarettes and kill third-world children" is not a planning consideration.

Valid planning considerations include:

Unacceptable increase in traffic levels

Unacceptable massing (bulk/size)

Unacceptable generation of noise, distubance, smells

Unacceptable impact on residential amenity

Design not in keeping the the existing built character of the area

Unacceptable predomination of a certain /type/ of planning use

Not in compliance with the prefered land use in the UDP/SDF

Not in compliance with government planning guidlines

Unacceptable impact on trees, listed buildings and conservation areas

If they then want to sell alcohol they will also need an alcohol license, which is applied for and granted seperately. The Licensing Act 2003 is a lot tighter than planning and applicants must show how they would comply with the four specified licensing objectives:

* the prevention of crime and disorder;

* public safety;

* the prevention of public nuisance;

* the protection of children from harm.

For information from Tescopoly:

http://www.tescopoly.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=708&Itemid=167

From the guidance I've found, it sounds as though a lot of points that could be objected to are not applicable, but strength of opposition can always help. Here's the guidance that Tescopoly sent when I notified them of the new application:

Which issues will the planning committee consider?

http://www.tescopoly.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=727 The planning officers and planning committee will consider the application to see if it complies with local planning documents that relate to that specific site, to the town or neighbourhood in which it is located, and to the region as a whole. Documents relating to town centre landuses will be relevant, as will any relating to other issues that the application brings up, such as traffic and impact on local residents.

The application will also have to be considered in relation to national planning guidance, which should in any case form the basis of local planning documents. Relevant national planning guidance includes:

Planning Policy Statement 6 - this is the planning guidance covering all town centre landuses, which includes all retail development. The aim of the document is to encourage local authorities to concentrate new retail development within town centres in order to protect town centres from out of town development. This is to secure social inclusion through protecting the “vitality and viability” of town centres.

PPS6 requires local authorities to consider the application’s imact on existing stores, whether it is of an appropriate scale, and whether it has adequate public transport links. If the application is outside the town centre, then it must also consider whether there is a more appropriate site for the development, and whether there is sufficient need for the store.

PPS6 can be used to argue against a large number of supermarket developments, especially large superstores outside or on the edge of town centres. For further information on PPS6, please see Tescopoly's guide, and download it from the Department for Communities and Local Government website.

Planning Policy Guidance 13 - this relates to transport. The guidance note requires new developments to comply with certain principles of sustainable transport use. PPS6 contains additional guidance on transport issues for town centre uses. The application should be accessible by public transport and should not have an undue negative influence on the transport network. For more information, see PPG13.

Planning Policy Statement 1 - this relates to sustainable development. This could be useful for any application. PPS1 sets out the overarching policies and obligations for sustainable development that affect any planning application. For more information, see PPS1.

Planning Policy Guidance 15 - this covers applications and their impact on the historic environment. If the application in question will have an impact on the historic environment, you can use this guidance note to argue against it. For more information, see PPG15.

Planning Policy Statement 23 - this relates to pollution. If there are issues of pollution around the application, for example from increased traffic, you could use PPS23. For more information, see PPS23.

Planning Policy Statement 25 - this relatest to development and flood risk. If the development is on a floodplain, there may be issues around flood risk that affect the application. For more information, see PPS25.

Planning Policy Guidance 26 - this relates to noise. For more information, see PPG26

Decision Notices

http://www.tescopoly.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=478 This page outlines some of the key arguments you can make in objections to supermarket applications, and looks at some previous decisions against supermarkets. See the FAQs page for an introduction to the planning system. See also Friends of the Earth's briefing on making strong cases against supermarkets.

Objections to applications should be robust, concise and clear. It will be worth getting to know and making reference to the following documents:

Your local authority's Local Plans/ Local Development Frameworks - An application must be shown to fit well with the local planning documents which local authorities have to create to guide the future shape of planning in the area. At the moment, most local authorities in England are putting together new sets of planning documents known as Local Development Frameworks. Contact your Council for more information.

Planning Policy Statement 6 (PPS6) - You should also make reference to any national planning guidance that is relevant. See the FAQs page for information on all the Planning Policy Statements you can use. The key document for most retail applications will be PPS6, which relates to planning for town centres. PPS6 strongly encourages local authorities to protect town centres by making sure that all new retail development – either new or extensions – satisfies 5 tests:

There must be a proven need for the development, if it is not in the town centre

It must be shown that the impact on existing town centres will not be too great

It must satisfy the sequential test (that there are no more central sites appropriate for development)

The size of the development must be appropriate

The location must be acceptable.

Phew. Lot of info to stop a bag of washed carrots being sold

Agreed. Same when Bargain Booze took over the old video shop on South Road....selling pretty much the same as Levitts. No public outcry then. How/where do they unload etc, same for Nisa.

I'm no particular fan of Tesco but it is interesting how they attract criticism for doing little different to their competitors.

I'd welcome it. I prefer to walk to the shops for exercise and currently use Netto on South Road. If Tesco causes that awful place to close down then all well and good. As for Jacksons and the new shop opposite, you need a mortgage to shop there.

I agree with the traffic considerations, but I suspect parking will be so bad that people who want to go shopping in their cars will go to a more accessible store anyway.

I know a few people who drive to Morrissons from Walkley, maybe somewhere decent to shop closer by will encourage them to walk? And it's certainly convenient for buses.

As said previuosly, if it gets built and there isn't a need for it then it will close down.

Absolutely.

I'd welcome a Tesco there too. Saves going up to Co-op. Funny no-ones mentioned the parking situation up there.

How many supermarkets does Commonside need?

Not content with the Co-op, our former business premises on Barber Road is now another supermarket and then Tesco wish to plonk one of their own a couple of hundred yards up the road?

And these shops need large delivery lorries which park up on a Clearway and bus route which causes more misery.

IMO, Tesco will come and soak up business from the other supermarkets which will lead to them and other smaller businesses closing. Barber Road resembles a ghost town now; what will it look like if Tesco get their way?

I might have missed this but who owns this land please?

Why do you want to know? It's irrelavant to a planning application. Anybody can submit a planning application for any piece of land anywhere regardless of who owns it.