Tesco Planning Application -Walkley/Crookesmoor

I can't see anything about this on here already, so here goes for my first thread start!

Tesco have submitted a planning application (number 07/02849/FUL) to build a new convenience store on the corner of Commonside and Springvale road, Walkley.

now, this would maybe be ok if the area was a food desert, but its not! Theres Netto in Walkley, along with at least one other convenience store, a couple of grocers and a very good bakers. Going the other way theres a Co-op, Oscars and Beanies, go a bit further and theres a Jacksons by the University and then theres the Tesco store down on Infirmary road itself - surely we don't need another one???

Not to mention the fact that given the way Tesco usually behaves - quite aggressively towards other similar businesses in the area - it could be really bad for the other food stores I just mentioned.

Can I ask that anyone out there who does not want to see the 'Tesco-ification' of the area writes to the council to object?

The application number is in the text above (you can go to the council website and search by that number to get details of the application), the Planning officer for the case is Bob Turner. His address is; Development Control, Howden House, Sheffield or his email is bob.turner@sheffield.gov.uk

...the more the merrier!

just trying to picture where it would be?? would it be the site on the corner that used to be the petrol station a few years ago and is presently a patch of rubble??

now im not a rabidly anti-tesco person, but i dont feel this would enhance the area, the extra traffic and cars would make what is already a busy junction even more so and there are already, as the OP stated, some convenience stores in this area (netto, levitts, the other one opposite the off license on south road, the dram shop, the one near the rajput, and down barber road another convenience store, the veggie shop and not forgetting the little sainsburys at the bottom of crookesmoor road, not to mention the numerous ones in crookes?

It's a pretty small site if it is the petrol station, so there wouldn't be much parking provided.

And there's a full sized tescos less than a mile away on infirmary road...

I assume that it will be one of the 'mini-Tescos' - sort of Tesco-Lite.

yeah, it would have to be a reet little un, unless it was somewhere else??? the only other site i can think of is the car park that belongs to the jewellers?? which would be daft as there would be even less places to park. hmmm

No way, this is strange I cannot see how they could build a tesco their, just looked it up.

no it doesnt make sense, but then sheffield city council and sense rarely go hand in hand

no it doesnt make sense, but then sheffield city council and sense rarely go hand in hand

It would be tescos applying, not the council...

yeah i know, i meant if the council granted the planning permission

Tesco just opened a convenience store near to where I live (Ashby, near Scunthorpe). Some local traders might feel the pinch, but since KwikSave went bust there isn't another supermarket within half a mile (Aldi). Tesco can't compete with Netto for price, or with Aldi for that matter, but they do provide a one-stop service that no other local trader offers. And they are open from 7 am to 11 pm (10 to 4 on Sundays). On balance it's a good thing; there's enough business for all the shops, and if you run out of milk in mid-evening they are there.

levvitts on south road are open till ten, the shop on barber road is open till about the same, dram shop similar, all you need basically is already there and open late, even sundays, and if you get really desperate the garage in crookes is open 24hours. so the opening times and convenience are not an issue, its just tesco tryng to muscle in again.