End of the Lescar as we know it.

If the Lescar gets "Emberised" that would be almost criminal. All the pubs round my place have become Ember Inns and there's no character left. The Lescar was always just a good pub and always busy. Why change a winning formula?

If the Lescar gets "Emberised" that would be almost criminal. All the pubs round my place have become Ember Inns and there's no character left. The Lescar was always just a good pub and always busy. Why change a winning formula?

Yeah I suffered an Ember Inn as a local a couple of years ago. Horrific. But what other brands that M and B own would fit? Its a Scream? All Bar One? Maybe Nicholson's, although I don't think the building is old enough for that to be likely. My money's on Ember Inns

Yeah I suffered an Ember Inn as a local a couple of years ago. Horrific. But what other brands that M and B own would fit? Its a Scream? All Bar One? Maybe Nicholson's, although I don't think the building is old enough for that to be likely. My money's on Ember Inns

None of those prospects are appealing, they should just leave it as The Lescar. Couldn't someone get a preservation order put on the interior?

My daughter lives very close to The Lescar, she said it's going to be a family pub with bouncy castles, etc....

Ugh....

My daughter lives very close to The Lescar, she said it's going to be a family pub with bouncy castles, etc....

Ugh....

Why doesn't somebody just hit me on the head with a mallet now!

:(

The Lescar has been a busy pub for years so it comes as a surprise to hear the brewery wants to change it.

Anyone know why? Is the brewery unhappy with the clientelle?

It's a shame alright.

We've been told that we may well still have a home, but possibly not. It's going to shut after The Comedy Festival, which helps, but then we may well have to find a new room for Thursdays. The thing is, we know how difficult that is, as we've tried to find a room to double up with The Lescar in the past.

It's a shame for us, we've been in that room for 15 years, and had the biggest names on the UK comedy circuit there, people like Jimmy Carr, Eddy Izzard, Graham Norton, Peter Kay, Ross Noble, Dara O'Briain et al. It's a lovely atmosphere, and we'll miss it if we have to leave. As I understand it, there'll be no sport in the place, and they may well put entertainment on, but I'm not really sure of the details.

In the meantime, we'd be open to suggestions. We need a room that holds round about 100 with sound and light in it.

Have you tried asking at the Polish Club on Ecclesall Road?

Pub companies and their rubbish marketing departments' branding ideas.. they just don't have a clue, I wonder sometimes if their marketing managers even visit the pubs they makeover.

I'm with Bill Hicks on this:

++

"By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing... kill yourself. No, no, no it's just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know. You try, you do what you can. Kill yourself.

Seriously though, if you are, do. Aaah, no really, there's no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers, Okay - kill yourself - seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good, seriously.

No this is not a joke, you're going, 'there's going to be a joke coming,' there's no ***ing joke coming. You are Satan's spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are ****ed and you are ****ing us. Kill yourself. It's the only way to save your ****ing soul, kill yourself. Planting seeds.

I know all the marketing people are going, 'he's doing a joke'... there's no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, ***ing hang yourself, borrow a gun from a Yank friend - I don't care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil ***ing machinations.

I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, 'Oh, you know what Bill's doing, he's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market, he's very smart.' Oh man, I am not doing that. You ****ing evil scumbags! 'Ooh, you know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar. That's a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We've done research - huge market. He's doing a good thing.' Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scum-bags!

Quit putting a godamm dollar sign on every ****ing thing on this planet!

'Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market, Bill's very bright to do that.' God, I'm just caught in a ****ing web! 'Ooh the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market - look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar...' How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like ****ing babies at night, don't you?"

++

sad news. it is what have to expect in this day and age.

for example, look at the devonshire quarter. this was a little pocket of the city that involved a few individuals that tried to offer something different. it was a fairly succesfull venture by these few but they have paid the price for their efforts now cos we have starbucks, subway & O2 in the mix. totally wrong imo. the council should have stopped these type of companies ruining the individuality af the area.

its the same with ecclesall road. the place is now full of multi-national companies.

i hate it - sorry

im absolutely devasted!!!!

this is just ridiculous....and i honestly cant see how the brewery have come up with this idea of an eaterie/wine bar....because whilst nonnas etc are all busy, the lescar will still look like a pub on the outside regardless of the refurb and it isnt on the main road so therefore wont have the same foot traffic that eccy road has.

is this an absolute definate? surely their minds can be changed?

Absolutly criminal if it goes ahead. The pub is an integral part of Hunters bar and one of the few genuine locals left. I'm getting sick to death of companies around here pandering to the Nuevo riche. They now swarm round the area like a band of tasteless, vacuous locusts leaving a cultural black hole behind them.

Absolutly criminal if it goes ahead. The pub is an integral part of Hunters bar and one of the few genuine locals left. I'm getting sick to death of companies around here pandering to the Nuevo riche. They now swarm round the area like a band of tasteless, vacuous locusts leaving a cultural black hole behind them.

bang on!

i agree entirely