Sign in to follow this  

How much does it cost to text someone in Germany with a UK number?

There is very different information all over the net and I think some of it is very misleading. I have a friend who is in Germany at the moment and I'm wondering how much it's costing me to text them on their UK phone. Many people on other forums are adamant that with all service providers it costs the same to text a UK number abroad as it does when they're in the UK (in which case it would come out of my inclusive texts and I'd be very happy), but the Vodafone (my provider) site says: 'Sending text messages from the UK to an international UK mobile number costs 24p per message (inc.VAT).'. In which case, is it 24p + the standard text charge (as it is with the extra fee when you're texting from abroad), and if it's just 24p does that come out of my inclusive texts? :confused: Thanks!

I thought that it cost you the same as when they were in the UK but it charges the recipient for the extra cost?

I thought that it cost you the same as when they were in the UK but it charges the recipient for the extra cost?

Nope, apparently they're sort of separate issues and the recipient is only charged depending on their service provider, and in most cases you aren't charged for receiving texts abroad, only calls. The information out there seems very scarce :huh:

It will cost you exactly the same as normal.

It will cost you exactly the same as normal.

True meaks but it may cost the other party to receive it.

True meaks but it may cost the other party to receive it.

On all the major service providers (O2, Orange, T-Mobile and Vodafone) it's free to receive text messages when roaming, it only costs to receive calls.

Thanks all, I don't think I am being charged having checked my up to date call costs, I'm just still very confused as to why Vodafone would say on their site it's costing me 24p :huh:

The main reason it's normal price to send texts to abroad is that you don't neccesseraly know the recipient is abroad. If vodafone do charge you extra, challenge it and plead ignorance that your friend was away. Likewise, it's the normal cost to recieve while abroad because other people don't know you're away, and you can't stop the text from being recieived. With phone calls, both persons get an oppurtunity to cancel the call before any costs are raised.