3 bed HIPs confirmed 10th September

The DCLG have this morning announced that Home Information Packs will be introduced for 3 bed homes from 10th September.

We are putting ours on the market next week, Is it still the case that three bed property on the market prior to the deadline will not need one?

Yes. If you sign a contract with an agent before 10th or post a private add that constitutes 'marketing' you will be exempt until the end of the year.

If you have not sold by Jan 1st then you will need a HIP.

Can anyone actually see the point in these? I've been looking for an article telling me why they are such a good idea but can't find one? They seem to give the buyer a load of useless information or information that they have to pay someone else to tell them anyway before a bank will give them a mortgage.

I suppose the thinking is that if you have a copy of:

title

planning permissions

building regulations

local searches

management accounts

at the time an offer is made, then the buyer will not have to pay for them and the info will be at hand immediately.

A large part of delays is when a buyer/solicitor requests searches. In some cases local authorities have been taking up to 16 weeks(!) to return them. HIP providers will, more often than not, use insured personal search companies who can return them within 5 days. I personally have used them and they only took 3 days.

And lets not forget the most contentious part - the energy performance certificate. As we are part of the EU (and thats another debate) we are subject to (most) of their law. They have decided that european properties should be assessed for their energy efficiency. Unlike countries like Germany and France our UK goverment has decided to only assess homes as they come onto the market, rather than a blanket exercise across the country at the same time. Whatever your thoughts about climate change and the EU, they are a legal requirement and will apply to every home from 1st Jan 2008 and commercial properties no later than 2009.

It may not be a bad thing, if it actually work's and speed's up the whole buying/selling process. It just seems to be causing utter chaos at the moment

I think the concept is actually quite simple. It's the amount of scaremongering, mis-information and poor advice that complicates matters. Most of the negativity comes from the NAEA and its members (estate agents) because they see it as more work for no real gain. My heart bleeds...

I have purchased several properties recently and wish that a pack had been available before i instructed lawyers. Unknown rights of way, the seller not been the actual owner, boundary disputes are some of the issues we didn't know about until deep into the transaction. A lot of time and expense could have been saved if these issues had been sorted before we committed to purchase.

the whole reason that hips has been introduce is nothing to do with buying or selling...... you will find that in a year or two that the EPC (the bar chart) will form part of a stealth tax or a green tax... thats what the government want it for

the whole reason that hips has been introduce is nothing to do with buying or selling...... you will find that in a year or two that the EPC (the bar chart) will form part of a stealth tax or a green tax... thats what the government want it for

We can't say that we haven't been given sufficient time to get our homes in order. Most LA's are distributing green grants for insulation etc.

Let's not forget that the EPC rating is relative to the type of accommodation anyway. Not all buildings will be given the same 'potential' scoring so that a 17th century timber framed house cannot be directly comparable to a post-war semi (for eg).