Interview advice/tips

Thanks J Blaze and Neeeeeeeek (is that enough e's!?!) - your advice is appreciated.

I must admit the nearer it gets to me interview the harder I'm finding it to be humourous or stay relaxed.......(!) I'm focused though!

I suppose it depends on the type of interview that you go for but I alsways find that it helps if you try to anticipate in advance the questions they will ask and get a mental store of correponding answers. Of course, this isn't always possible but if you have a job description you should have a good idea of the type of skills they will require. Once I have a kind of mental script I always feel more relaxed. I find it easier to think beyond their questions if i'm not always trying to extract some answer from the depths of my mind.

Additionally, I always try to do a bit of background research on the company. Nothing special, just any new developments in the company itself or the sector generally. This always impresses at interview.

Good luck.

M

When you get nervous try to overcome it by laughing at how nervous you are getting over something so little. Imagine if someone were pointing a loaded weapon in your face and how nervous you'd be then compared. Once you can make yourself laugh you will be relaxed.

look smart,

be relaxed

be prepared

be yourself!

my best interviews always seem to be when i can take the job or leave it. probably because i'm more relaxed. You can't manufacture that situation unfortunately.

You can always practice though, get someone to do a mock interview with you, it gives you practice with forming the answers and articulating them clearly.

Thanks peeps - you're a nice bunch!!

Don't be too afraid to exert a little bit of authority. Remember, you are making a choice as to whether you would like to work for them. You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

And all this relaxing thing: I don't think a bit of the old adrenaline flowing and sweaty palms does any harm at all. Being too relaxed looks sloppy.

But try not to be a nervous wreck.

I think it's also important to show confidence and hold yourself well. ie. walk proudly and compose yourself. when being asked questions, show interest. try leaning towards the interviewer instead of leaning back in your seat. Good body language always helps, and makes you appear genuinely interested.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

Don't be too afraid to exert a little bit of authority. Remember, you are making a choice as to whether you would like to work for them. You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

And all this relaxing thing: I don't think a bit of the old adrenaline flowing and sweaty palms does any harm at all. Being too relaxed looks sloppy.

But try not to be a nervous wreck.

Exactly, try presenting them a reverse application form prior to the interview to see if they are suitable to employ you.

Here is a list of possible questions:

Have you or your assosiates ever been declared banrupt?

What is the companies eithical policy?

Can you provide some references from previous employees?

Are you willing to share profits with me, if not, why not?

Are you willing to pay travel/reolocation costs?

What salary are you [processing my application] currently on?

Where does your company see itself in 5 years time?

Has your company any plans to merge in the future?

What can your company offer me that others can't?

;):D

Now that is a fantastic idea!

This is the problem: most people get it into their heads (wrongly of course) that they are inferior to the interviewer. I do not understand this logic. After all, the interviewer may be more anxious to fill the advertised position than you are to get the job.

Be a little assertive - I don't mean act like a smartarse - but you will make more of an impression and gain more respect this way.

Originally posted by Reidstar

Hi folks

I just wondered if any of you had any tips for interviews or things that have worked for you in the past. I have an interview on Thursday for a job I really want and as I'm out of practice have suddenly found I have brown trousers(!)

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

I am in the process of holding interviews for a vacancy. What sort of Job are you going for and maybe I can tell you the things they look for.

Thanks for all your advice peeps - I got the job!

Thanks muchly!!