Which is the best swimming pool for babies?

I took my kids to Dronfield pool at the weekend. I'd never been before but it was really nice. Very clean, good size changing room, lots of empty lockers, and the pool was fab! There's a smaller pool for littlies which was really warm and had toys for them to play with (eg boats/watering cans). The bigger pool was much cooler, but still not too bad. Will defo go again :)

i found ponds forge were very good. I took my son to duckling lessons there and he was soon swimming on his own!

I think people worry too much about what baby should wear and which is the warmest pool. Most pools are average temp and that is cold but babies are harder than you think.

My son went swimming to in Skegness a couple of weeks ago and he loved it so I took him along to Hillsborough - It was freezing and he cried a bit but got used to it, after 10 minutes he was asleep lol.

Depending on how old your baby is I would say 10/20 mins is way long enough for them to be in the pool. You old them throughout anyway, the float lifeboat things are just one extra thing to worry about when in the pool and getting ready (hardest part of the whole process).

You can look into "water babies" not sure if it is the right name for it costs a bit and only a couple of pools in Sheffield but they do the whole Nirvana underwater baby picture thing.

Has anyone had the underwater baby pictures done ? I`m a keen swimmer and would love a pic of our baby son (11 months old now) underwater. We take him to Hillsborough* every other week and he loves it more and more each time we go. We started taking him when he was about 3 months and he got a bit cold if you stayed in too long, but now that he`s more active he`s fine for 30 to 40 minutes. He also goes to Ponds Forge with us twice a week but obviously he doesn`t swim there (not yet anyway.....), one of us has to stay with him whilst the other one swims then we swap over !

* I wouldn`t say Hillsborough pool was freezing, in fact it`s actually too warm to swim (hard) in ! Ponds Forge, certainly the competition pool, would be too cold for a baby, but it`s not suitable for babies anyway so it doesn`t really matter.

Separate thread : Is there anywhere in Sheffield I can take pictures of my child swimming ? And the answer is yes !

Edited by Justin Smith
Adde link

King Edwards on MOnday and Tuesday has the warmest water in Sheffield I think their claim to fame is! 30degrees for their baby splash. My two love it.

I`ve done a bit of research on water temperatures (of Ponds Forge & Hillsborough leisure centre) and put the info on this thread. Hillsborough is fine to take babies swimming. There`s also some stuff about babies swimming on the link. I have to say I think it`s better if babies / kids don`t wear wet suits / long swimming cossies. I reckon they like swimming much more, will get on much better and develop confidence in the water much quicker if they can feel the water on their skin. We wouldn`t like wearing them whilst swimming so why should they ! ? ! Just so long as your child / baby keeps moving (i.e. generating heat) they shouldn`t need to wear wet suits or long cossies. Our lad didn`t even at 3 months old, and he`d been born three weeks early !.

On the taking pictures of your kids in the water the only place I could find was Losehilll House Spa (which is out near Bamford), details at the end of this thread.

Edited by Justin Smith

Kenwood hall in Sharrow Vale has a leisure spa / gym / pool that you can use on a one-off basis, it's £5 to get in (babies free with a paying adult). The water is so warm it's like bathwater. The pool's not really big enough to have a proper swim for adults so a lot of people seem to take kids there. They've now equipped it with armbands and swimming aids and also a little playpen at the side in case you need to put your baby somewhere safe for a minute. Although it's adults only between 12 and 2 on weekdays as far as I can remember.

Graves pool next to Norton College is ideal. The shallow end is really shallow, the water is warm and it never seems too busy. My dad taught me to swim there many moons ago and now I take my daughter.

Eckington is the best I've been too. The training pool is a good size and not too cold. There are plenty of facilities in the changing rooms such as high chairs and movable tables for changing.

Heeley baths is really good. Do some good mother and baby classes too

Which pool is the best for his Age?

I've tried Hillbrough but I would like to try somewhere else this time, Ive heard Ponds Forge is more for Kids rather than babies.

I'm willing to go to Rotherham, Barnsly, Doncaster ect.

I'm looking for play pools with lots of stuff to entertain his overactive mind.

Anyone can recommended good place where to take 5month old baby swimming? Ideally with warmer pool than Hillsborough and possible weekend sessions?

Anyone can recommended good place where to take 5month old baby swimming? Ideally with warmer pool than Hillsborough and possible weekend sessions?

Only place we found with a consistently good pool temperature was Dronfield leisure centre. Bit of a trek though.

If you're after lessons, blue water swimming in Chesterfield are great and had a really nice, warm pool. But closer to town there's also Puddleducks at Momentum Leisure centre, though it can be pretty cold some days. Both do weekend classes.

Hope that's some help