Sign in to follow this  

Xbox 360/Nintendo Wii Advice

I'm looking at upgrading to one of the next generation consoles (currently have a PS2), and have a few questions about the Xbox 360.

The only games I really play on the PS2 are Pro Evo, Tiger Woods and Grand Theft Auto - I'm right in assuming that these are all available for the Xbox?

How much better are the graphics compared to the PS2? I've seen videos of the new Tiger game, and think that looks ace. However, my TV isn't HD - will the graphics still be good?

I'm thinking of getting the cheapest system (Core), but it doesn't come with a hard drive - do I need one? Or can I get one of the memory cards to save my game data - baring in mind I only wanna play the 3 games above?

Is Xbox Live worth it? I've never played games online before.

Is the 360 likely to be coming down in price any time soon (I know this is difficult to say, but I've no idea what the launch price was)?

As a last question... I want an Xbox 360, but the other half wants a Wii - I see the Wii as a bit of a gimic, a kids' console? Is it any good? Which would you recommend?

Cheers

If you don't have a HD ready set, your not going to see that much of difference.

Grand theft auto 4 will be on its way shortly, as will the latest pro evo.

Xbox live is a right laugh, but full of hyperactive 13 year old american kids, that like to shout as loud as possible down their mics.

Don't write the Wii off as a kids console, It's bloody brilliant. More and more games are taking advantage of the motion capabitities in unique and fun ways. You can easily spend a few hours on it without realising.

Hope that helps :)

Imho I prefer the 360, the wii was great at first but the novelty soon wears off.

Xbox live is amazing as soon as you have played games online you will rarley play them offline.

Graphics wise, you may notice a small difference but tbh untill you go HDTV you wont notice much.

I would personally go for the PS3 for a next gen console. I have owned the XBOX360 and the PS3 and much prefer the PS3. The online play between the 2 is no different apart from you have to pay for Xbox live. There is something called 'HOME' coming out for PS3 and it will be free and it looks amazing.

I would stay clear of the Wii unless you have young children as most people I know got bored very quickly.

I also think Blu-ray will win over HD which would be my other reason for picking PS3.

However if you pick the Xbox360 im sure you wont be disappointed, unless you get one of the many that are out with the ring of death :)

Thanks for the replies.

PS3 is out of it purely because of the price for me. £425 is waaaaay too much for a console!

For the 360, how do you save your games on the Core system? Do you need a memory card? What size would you recommend?

The only games I really play on the PS2 are Pro Evo, Tiger Woods and Grand Theft Auto - I'm right in assuming that these are all available for the Xbox?

YES ALL AVAILABLE FOR THE 360

How much better are the graphics compared to the PS2? I've seen videos of the new Tiger game, and think that looks ace. However, my TV isn't HD - will the graphics still be good?

THE GRAPHICS WILL STILL BLOW AWAY PS2 BUT TO GET THE VERY BEST GET A HD-TV

I'm thinking of getting the cheapest system (Core), but it doesn't come with a hard drive - do I need one? Or can I get one of the memory cards to save my game data - baring in mind I only wanna play the 3 games above?

SPEND THE EXTRA AND GET A HARD DRIVE - THE CORE IS NOT VERY GOOD AND YOU WILL HAVE NOWHERE TO STORE DOWNLOADABLE GAMES FROM X-BOX LIVE ARCADE WITHOUT THE HDD

Is Xbox Live worth it? I've never played games online before.

IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY AND THE DOWNLOADABLE GAMES MENTIONED ABOVE ARE ACE. SENSIBLE WORLD OF SOCCER IS OUT FOR DOWNLOAD IN 2 WEEKS!

Is the 360 likely to be coming down in price any time soon (I know this is difficult to say, but I've no idea what the launch price was)?

IT'S JUST BEEN DROPPED BY $50 A SYSTEM IN THE USA, BUT NO PLANS FOR A UK PRICE DROP TILL JUST BEFORE XMAS

As a last question... I want an Xbox 360, but the other half wants a Wii - I see the Wii as a bit of a gimic, a kids' console? Is it any good? Which would you recommend?

THE WII IS FUN BUT NOT MANY GOOD GAMES AND THE NOVELTY SOON WEARS OFF. FOR THE PRICE OF A PS3 YOU COULD GET BOTH!

Well mate, you wont get GTA for the Wii,

GTA for the xbox will have exclusive downloadable content so if you like the game that much then get a HD because you will need it to store the additional content! and the demo which will come ojut before the game. having a HD can sometimes increase the load times of games due to there being more space for a cache.

you get xbox silver free which means you can DL demos/games etc...but cant actually play online against others unless you pay £40 for a 12month subscription.

Tiger Woods is shaping up to have Excellent online features this year...

As previusly mentioned, the 360 is getting dropped in america but as usual we're shafted in england....but GTA has been delayed till around march-april next year anyway! (by which time you can bet your ass on a price drop)

/2cents

Xbox 360 > Wii.

And that's without teh fanboy goggles on.

And that's without teh fanboy goggles on.

Do you ever take them off? And have you ever actually played anything on a wii to make a fair comparison between the 2?

Wii is a fantastic little machine, especially good for multi-player fun. Perhaps not so good for the play-by-yourself factor though. Also not suitable for fashion conscious teenagers.

If you want a 360 I'd wait until the new hardware revision comes out which will be more reliable apparently (though it would struggle to be less reliable, let's face it).

only read the first line of the first response..

with or without a hd set you'll notice a massive difference between the two graphics and performance wise.

Xbox live is great fun (if you find a little foul mouthed yank annoying simply mute him, then when the games over just choose not to play anymore games with them-and you wont) if you like sporty games then you'll prob play em with your mates in your house?, and live simply gives you more mates to play em with.

as well as down-loadable content, official world wide leaderboards and challenges to beat.

Also theres not many feelings better than when you know (for certain) that your up there in the the top ten worldwide.

as

definitely worth the 30 or so quid it costs, if you buy a new console you'll get a month (think )of free live access so you'll be able to answer that for yourself,

spend the extra and get the hdd as you'll no doubt want to download the free games' demos etc and a memory stick just doesn't cut it,

as for Wii great fun but not got that long lasting appeal in my eyes(good, in its own right but ,,, different)