What cars do people own then? And why is it "classic" to you

jealousy? :cool:

Cant say ive ever been jealous of a beemer driver to be honest. Much prefer my old fords.

*swoons at car pr0n*

Was there some sort of Jap Sports meet on this evening Steve? As I was driving down Halifax Road there was a pack of the beasties heading the other way - a couple of Supras, a 3000GT, an NSX, 3 Celicas, an RX7 and a GTO.

Certainly sounds like it! :) I wouldn't know though as I don't live in Sheffield - my dad does though and I visit a lot - I live near Worcester. Supras a re a rare sight, so to spot two together (let alone with all the rest of that list) suggests a 'meet' to me.

Cant say ive ever been jealous of a beemer driver to be honest. Much prefer my old fords.

must be why you can't recognise real classic cars!

must be why you can't recognise real classic cars!

So can you explain how a 15 year old BMW counts as a classic car please. Maybe i am missing something:suspect:

To me there are various types of 'classic' car.

The ones produced by low volume manufacturers, that tend to attract a 'cult' following. TVR, Lotus, Gordon Keele, AC, etc

Then there are those mass produced vehicles that had a major impact upon society, the 2CV, Beetle (Original), Mini (Original), Fiat 500 (Original).

We also have to consider the older vehicles that were volume manufactured, and of which only a handful survive; Ford Anglias, Zodiacs, Consuls, Mk1 Fiestas, et all.

Personally I like to see any vehicle that has been cared for / restored, and is kept in excellent condition. I don't even mind seeing 'calssic' vehicles that have been uprated with better engines / brakes / etc.

As for 90's BMW's well perhaps some might not consider them classics as they are too new at the moment, but I'm sure most would agree that they are, at least future classics.

I've been lucky to drive, and even own a good range of classics. Each has their own particular charm (except the 2 litre Capri I had, but that could have been the spilt milk!)

its actually the last of the 80's small bmws

*Bit heated in here* - *Goes and opens the window to cool it down*.

To be fair the thread title did say why is your vehicle classic to you, which is why I guess the BMW was questioned as you have not done this.

I know nothing about them I am not a beemer fan, much in the same way that you would not know that my Rover 220 Wedge was a rare spec from seeing it in the street without me telling you.

So why is the BMW special, and what makes it in your eyes a classic.

MK I Fiesta, Ghia or GL spec, pref 1.3 engine, SO easy to work on, parts readily available, even all the panels......very reliable, compact, engines never wear out (in my experience, rust is the only killer of these cars).....I have had 200K on a standard 1.1 (1977) engine, and not a rattling tappet in earshot!!!!! AND THEY ARE JUST SO DAMM SEXY!!!!!!!!

FORD CORTINA MK II GT.......THE family saloon of the late 60's and early 70's, and the BEST of the Cortina range in my opinion....square, elegant and refined in an old skool Ford sense.....

FORD ZODIAC MK 4.....the DADDY...the LAST of the big expensive fuel guzzling saloons, with a turning circle of about 4 miles......but again, beautiful and sexy car the size of a house.....

HILLMAN HUNTER GT or GLS.....The early 70's versions, again a personal favourite, sleek and sexy, not exciting to drive but still a fine car..

you have some fine arsed cars pal, and i agree with you and phylis, mk1 fezzas are THE best car ever. although mines rattling a bit and only done 63k, although not much rus on the outside as its been garaged until i got it a few weeks ago

you have some fine arsed cars pal, and i agree with you and phylis, mk1 fezzas are THE best car ever. although mines rattling a bit and only done 63k, although not much rus on the outside as its been garaged until i got it a few weeks ago

Here, Here. Dont worry about the rattles they all do that. Keep seeing you but im always in the wrong car. Im usually in my Nissan sat at the bottom of Woodseats Road waiting to pick up the other half.

Car?: 1994 Mazda RX-7 (Japanese Type R2)

Classic?: May only be 13 years old but a beautiful looking car to this day. The rotary engine may have some bad press but it's one of those things and like all things vehicular it'll keep running if you treat it right. Incredibly quick even in standard form and with almost perfect 50:50 weight distribution it handles beautifully as well :) Still gets looks even today and they're as rare as flying pigs though unfortunately nowadays there are far too many bad examples on the market dropping the price.

If you want to see a race spec one go and pick up this month's Banzai magazine, a few pics of mine so far with a few hopefully fairly subtle styling changes.... IMG_2227

Car?: 1994 Mazda RX-7 (Japanese Type R2)

Rotary W*nkel! :D

(I bet everyone says that don't they?)